PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
How is that Old Black Magic? It is one of the few Watch City cakes I haven't tried, but it sounds interesting... Reading the description always left me wondering what exactly it was in terms of blend type.
Great question. My favorite is Flake 558 and I compare it to eating a whole dinner. Old Black Magic, which I am getting ready to light up another bowl, is perhaps a step down in terms of the number of flavors that are going on at any one given moment. It comes across in a more singular way - certainly not flat or one note. In fact, the perique's sweetness is evident. I think of a nice fruit cake or raisins. The woodsy flavors punctuate the notes and balance them quite well.

Although many only give it 3 stars on Tobacco Reviews, I can't help but wonder if they are trying too hard to compare it to something it is not.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking D&R Raccoon’s Delight in my very reliable smooth straight WW2 Pre-Republic Peterson Sterling Canadian with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite p-lip stem. Going to the studio to finish an Archie job I took a break from. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson_Pre_Rep_Canadian.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Great question. My favorite is Flake 558 and I compare it to eating a whole dinner. Old Black Magic, which I am getting ready to light up another bowl, is perhaps a step down in terms of the number of flavors that are going on at any one given moment. It comes across in a more singular way - certainly not flat or one note. In fact, the perique's sweetness is evident. I think of a nice fruit cake or raisins. The woodsy flavors punctuate the notes and balance them quite well.

Although many only give it 3 stars on Tobacco Reviews, I can't help but wonder if they are trying too hard to compare it to something it is not.
Okay. My apologies. Everything I wrote about it was true until the part where I actually lit up and started smoking. Then it turns out, I am referring to Artisan because that is what I had previously put into the bowl. I kept thinking, “wow, this tobacco has suddenly come alive!” The sentence that begins with “In fact” is the Artisan. Everything before that refers to Old Black Magic.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
About a third of a bowl left of Low Country Pipe & Cigar Natural Virginia & Burley in a 2020 straight black sandblasted Merchant Service “Bing” Standard with a nickel band and black vulcanite tapered stem. Working and listening to Gangbusters on the XM.
Merchant_Service_Standard2020 copy.jpg

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
The Royal Regiment of Scotland ???????? Oh do tell please, what we are looking at ? ?
The silver ware is a sporran adornment worn with the kilt. It’s a Kings Own Scottish Borderers one and was worn by the Pipes and Drums. This Regiment was merged with the Royal Scots to make the 1st Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, the Royal Scots Borderers in 2006. The tartan is Leslie and was the KOSB tartan in honour of Lord Leslie our founding Colonel. Thanks for your interest.
Happy smokes.
Ettrick puffer

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finished cleaning the kitchen, and this bowl of D&R Windsail in a 2018 full bend smooth Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade with a silver band and a black vulcanite saddle p-lip stem. M'lady will be very pleased when she wakes up, and sees it.Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade, 2018 copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.