PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
A rare (for me) Sunday morning smoke - Rattray Exotic Passion in a Brigham Algonquin 247. Haven’t smoked this pipe in ages. Draw is a bit restrictive compared to what I usually smoke - something I need to get used to. EP is enjoyable - not over the top sweet or flavored. This is only my second bowl of it. The first didn’t have much flavor to me. Maybe I’ll dedicate this pipe to it and it will develop more. Nice with coffee. Shaping up to be a beautiful Spring morning will be digging fence posts after this. 0463D924-982B-4677-A41A-2574AD0F490D.jpeg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Do you do anything to recondition the leather?
Most of those I got were in incredible condition, two were never smoked at all. I have some balm I made with mineral oil and beeswax but I’ve only used it in the Lovat I just posted. the leather shrinks over time and the stitching splits as seen here image.jpg
I knew about longchamp years ago because my girlfriend had a purse made by them, I had no idea at the time that they started in the pipe business and I think it’s something the modern company doesn’t want to trumpet about for PC reasons. They certainly didn’t respond to my queries regarding the early pipe business. My next gambit is composing a letter in French to them in the hope of some documentation and history.
I would encourage everyone who knows someone that worked as a pipe maker to get as much information from them as possible about every aspect of the work.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Most of those I got were in incredible condition, two were never smoked at all. I have some balm I made with mineral oil and beeswax but I’ve only used it in the Lovat I just posted. the leather shrinks over time and the stitching splits as seen here View attachment 75819
I knew about longchamp years ago because my girlfriend had a purse made by them, I had no idea at the time that they started in the pipe business and I think it’s something the modern company doesn’t want to trumpet about for PC reasons. They certainly didn’t respond to my queries regarding the early pipe business. My next gambit is composing a letter in French to them in the hope of some documentation and history.
I would encourage everyone who knows someone that worked as a pipe maker to get as much information from them as possible about every aspect of the work.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
This will be my first stanwell. I didn't realize when I bought it until further research it was italian made. Are the Italian ones still decent smokers?

I have 9 Stanwells and they all are great smokers whether they are the Danish or Italian made. I don't have a negative thing to say about any of them. Drilling, fit & finish, and break-in are on par or better than some of my Savinellis. I actually prefer my Stanwells.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Draw is a bit restrictive compared to what I usually smoke - something I need to get used to.
Update on this (if anyone cares, lol): There must have been something causing the restriction which is weird because before smoking I disassembled the pipe completely and ran cleaners through the entire thing, including the rock maple filter. It had the same draw when reassembled. I loaded, tested the draw and reloaded. Same. Smoked for a bit and started to get a gurgle. Ran a pipe cleaner through but had a hard time at first. Eventually got it through then the draw was miraculously more open. Must have missed something before.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
20210418_000839.jpg
Been a while since I smoked PA. This pouch has been opened but folded over for a year and a half. Pulled out a few pinches to let dry a week ago. Still not as dry as I like my tobacco (!), but I figure this is as close as it's gonna get. If anyone is on the lookout, I have 2 packs left I'd gladly swap for some Esotericas?

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Beacon Extra in meer
SEqH51El.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Starting off my smoking day with a bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Update on this (if anyone cares, lol): There must have been something causing the restriction which is weird because before smoking I disassembled the pipe completely and ran cleaners through the entire thing, including the rock maple filter. It had the same draw when reassembled. I loaded, tested the draw and reloaded. Same. Smoked for a bit and started to get a gurgle. Ran a pipe cleaner through but had a hard time at first. Eventually got it through then the draw was miraculously more open. Must have missed something before.
When I first got my Brigham fluff from pipe cleaners would get caught up in the stem and block airflow. Now when I clean it I make sure that no residual fluff is left over and I haven't had any problems since. I like my Brigham and have been considering another.

Status
Not open for further replies.