Marrow of Modern Divinity by Fisher

Thomas Jefferson and American Democracy by Beloff

No Time to Say Goodbye by Barclay

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hunter S. Thompson's The Proud Highway
I have that book and for the life of me I dont recall a thing about it. I may have been too stoned to remember it, or I may have been too stoned to get around to reading it, I cant remember which :crazy:
The Creation of the Presidency, 1775–1789: A Study in Constitutional History by Charles C. Thach, Jr.
Thomas Jefferson and American Democracy by Beloff
Nice to see titles like these in the lists.

I'm currently reading "Hard Times" by Studs Terkel. In the 1960's, Studs set out to interview people who lived through the Great Depression. He didnt try to do anything but get their impressions of the times, take down some biography and record any particular stories about people and places. The range of people interviewed is all walks of life from teenage kids who rode freight trains and lived in hobo jungles, to farmers who lost everything or barely made it, miners, union organizers, strikebreakers, government workers, failed bankers, musicians, succesful businessman, investors who lost everything. From inner city to rural backwoods, the Dustbowl to the Big Apple there are some really fascinating stories told and a lot of perspective about what we are going through today.

Highly recommended book

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I tend to have a couple of books on the go at any given time - usually one at home, one in the truck/briefcase (for killing time between meetings), and of course, whatever is on my desk at work.

Currently, my book at home is: Re-reading of the Sherlock Holmes canon

The book in my briefcase is: James A. Mitchner, The Novel (I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this book, but I am pleasantly surprised!)

The book on my desk: The ever exciting "Immigration and Refugee Protection Act"

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've read several of Studs Terkel's books - Hard Times and The Good War immediately come to mind. Good stuff. And, after having not read any Michener in at least 25 years, I picked up The Novel and a couple of others at a recent book fair. $.50 a pop, what the hell.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Just the daily paper now. Its the only thing I have time for. Thinking of ordering the book Pipe dreams though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just the daily paper now. Its the only thing I have time for. Thinking of ordering the book Pipe dreams though.

I just started "Pipe Dreams". Not exactly what I thought it would be, more of an anecdotal collection of pipe articles than book. But, for $15 delivered via Amazon (paperback), not a bad investment and a book you can read one chapter at a time.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I was gonna thank Lawrence for plugging my book, but after Hobie's remark, I don't want anything of mine getting "plugged" :rofl:

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Just started "The Master Executioner" by Loren Estleman and the first book in the Hector Lynch series by Tim Severin. The first title is a Western and when people find out I read Westerns they usually say something like, "Westerns are for old guys..." etc. Not all Westerns are equal. The prose of an Estleman novel or an old short Western by Elmore Leonard is a good read. The second title is a swashbuckle type novel and I plan on starting that one tonight.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I've listened to a few of L'Amour's stuff, good old fashion action, the good and the bad buys are easily defined.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'd reccommend Riding for the Brand for anyone, even if you're not fond of westerns. Those short stories almost have a Ronin Samurai feel to them a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.