PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Murgunstrumm and Others by Hugh B. Cave - famous pulp master of the 30's and 40's. If you like Sccccarrry stories this one is a fun one to read late at night during a thunderstorm. BWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHAAAHAAAAHHHAAA!!!!

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Elric of Melnibone. Lord of the Rings works for most, but I prefer Michael Moorcocks doomier adventures.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I enjoyed Moorcock's earlier works a lot. Sort of lost interest when they started to all overlap though.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Yeah, I have to say when it reached that point I lost interest, plus it smacked of dishonesty when he said it was intentional from the beginning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just finished "The Terror of Living" by Urban Waite. A pretty good thriller type read. A little similar to Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men", which is one of my favorite books. Promising for a new, young, author, give it a shot.
Next up: "The Savage City" by TJ English, a review of crime in New York City in the '68-'73 era.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
In the last two weeks I read Too Big To Fail by Sorkin, first two books of Patrick Rothfuss's new series The Wise Man's Fear and The Name of the Wind, Brandon Sanderson's first book in his new epic series The Way of Kings and the two books in Scott Lynch's newest series Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Over the Edge of the World, Magellans Circumnavigation Of The Globe by Laurence Bergreen.

Absolutely recommeneded ! Riveting read from start to finish, with lots of explanation on the larger world of life and politics in 1519.

If you're not familiar with the details, Ferdinand Magellan fled Portugal for Spain to lead an armada of wooden ships 60,000 miles around the world. He lost men, lost ships, quelled mutinies, suffered scurvy and starvation, and died in the surf of the Phillipine Islands by the spears and arrows of natives.

Five ships and 260 men sailed from Spain in 1519, one ragged ship with 18 sailors returned in 1522.

They were the first men in history to sail the entire circumference of the globe.

It was 60 years before anyone could accomplish the same feat again, despite repeated attempts with bigger and better supplied fleets.

If you enjoy adventure, history, or just a damn fascinating story, this is a good one.

wolf

Lurker
Jun 7, 2011
Just finished reading "The Hobbit" again, one of my favorite reads... I find myself wishing I was a hobbit every time I read this book haha.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
For whom the bell tolls, a philisophic over view from Socrates to Sartre, The Wolves of the Calla (the Dark Tower series), and The complete works of Lewis Carroll.
Yea I know..... abit ADD I guess.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I just finally put down It Never Snows in September by Robert Kershaw took my a couple of weeks to get through it with all my other reading and some times historical books are just slow. The book tells the story of the Market-Garden operation from a German perspective for the first time.
On another note, I have almost reached a new milestone in book reading for me. According to my spreadsheet two more books and I will have read 7000 books in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.