Jul 14, 2010
The Guns of August--B. Tuchman
Unbroken--L. Hillenbrand
Jesus; The Unauthorized Version--edited and introduced by Mian Ridge

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Grazie per la punta su Andrea Camilleri, Mauro - I've got it in attesa presso la biblioteca
Thank you for the tip on Andrea Camilleri, Mauro--i've got it on hold at the library

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
"Ghosts of Knighton Gorges" (Isle of Wight spookiness, over the water from me)
Sparroa, You may like a pub I occasionally eat in,(Royal Anchor,in Liphook) A highwayman,(Jacques) was shot there. Now he's an infamous ghost there!

Here, on Hayling Island there's a smuggler 'ghost' along a coastal path where I used to go in the dark on rabbit hunts. (I never saw the blighter...'would have loved to but,boy would I have run and run) M.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
finished the shining -- maybe nightmares and dreamscapes next?

bobdobbs

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2011
Just finished "You Might Be A Zombie and Other Bad News" and have just picked up "South Of The Pumphouse" by Les Claypool. Yes I read Cracked.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. This is an old friend for me. I have read it a handful of times. Sounds corny, but I always find I do my job a little better after reading it... Also I usually end up feeling a little more at peace in general!!!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Sounds great, Mike - I would love to wander the UK, tracing stories and legends, dipping into country pubs throughout the whole trip! I love folklore, especially that of the British Isles - amazing stuff, all part of my heritage. You're very lucky in my books to be so close to it all. Highwaymen may have been cutthroats in their day, but we can revel in their adventures without anxiety now. If I ever get to open a pub in the future, I'll be happily delving into all the traditional themes I can find for ambiance and a little character. Most pubs here are actually faceless bars and are sad excuses for even bad copies of the real thing!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My girlfriend gave me a Valentine's/birthday present last night that might be of interest to you all. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I'm sure to do so soon. It's a brand new 2011 reprint of "Smoke Rings and Roundelays - Pipes and Tobacco" by Wilfred Partington. It's a collection of poems and short writings from the 17th Century onward with an emphasis upon pipes but inclusive of all things featuring Lady Nicotina, published in 1924. Very interesting, I'm looking forward to reading some of these antiquated notions! (For example "The Hollander may truly be said to 'smoke like a chimney'" And then today I receive my latest order from 4noggins! Excellent timing indeed!

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
@ Bronxbriar, Im gonna have to read the God delusion..'wanted to for some time,
@Sparroa, I've been reading"Haunted inns of Hampshire" by Roger Long on and off for a couple of years and visiting those pubs and ticking them off in the book for each visit.

Im a sucker for these spooky books,I dont believe everyone in these stories is a liar or simply mistaken. The Wife comes along on these jaunts(rolls her eyes!) Its about beer tasting as well! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.