PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@Kashmir you have piqued my interest in those books by Churchill. What is the official title of the series?
Currently reading Lord of the Rings (yeah yeah bandwagaon, but never read it), and I'm always reading the Bible.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Just finished Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. Man I love that guy! How I would love to get paid to travel the world and eat amazing food. His stories behind the NY food scene were quite entertaining too.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Camera Never Blinks by Dan Rather .This a great expose of behind the scenes adventures of Dan as he travels the world to bring us the news . I think I have read this at least twenty times by now .

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Just finished my first, and quite definately not my last, Steampunk novel 'Infernal Devices' by K.W. Jeter, just started Proust's 'Swann's Way'.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Script and Scribble: The Rise and Fall of Handwriting by Kitty Burns Florey. It's quite fascinating, not to mention funny.
Sea Struck by W.H. Bunting. This is a compilation of diaries written by men serving before the mast in the last days of sailing ships in the U.S. It's also fascinating.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Well, the more things change... Wound up bailing on the Network+ exam to focus on A+ first, which I completed by the March deadline I'd initially set for Network +. Finished "Orientalism", and now have Said's follow up book, "Culture and Imperialism".
Since I spend more time on the road these days, I've reactivated my Audible subscription, and just finished Mary Robinette Kowal's "Shades of Milk and Honey", which is sort of a Regency fantasy - imagine Jane Austen writing about magic-users. As a result, I'm now reading actual Jane Austen novels. And my wife just downloaded the latest Kate Daniels urban fantasy, so I've got that to look forward to, plus a shared-universe project called METAtropolis (Jay Lake, John Scalzi, Elizabeth Bear, Karl Schroeder, Tobias Buckell).

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I just finished MASH, very funny book I think better than the movie or TV show but I like all of them still, and starting Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Read McCarthy's The Road a while back and it is mighty mighty grim if you take it as anything more than

a sort of dystopia fable; I couldn't believe the "happy" (less than horrific) ending. But it was impressive as

a piece of writing for sure.
I've just finished "Saul Bellow's Heart," a memoir by the Nobelist novelist's son Dr. Greg Bellow. Saul Bellow

is perhaps my favorite novelist (outside my own family) writing during my lifetime. I did what I rarely do and

sent him a fan letter, a one pager outlining my long admiration for his complicated, often contrary and

curmudgeonly dad, with such a gift for capturing family and urban life and many of its intellectual and

spiritual predicaments. My favorite Bellow novel is "Mr. Sammler's Planet."

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Script and Scribble: The Rise and Fall of Handwriting
Of interest to pipe smokers: Mike Sull is mentioned and discussed at length as the foremost Spencerian practitioner alive today.
He was mentioned on the PM radio show a couple of weeks ago, and you can see his work by clicking here about one-third down the page.
For some reason, the handwriting book doesn't mention the pipe...

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
I just started "Confessions of a Pipeman."
I'm also in the middle of "Game of Thrones," and "Instinctive Shooting" by G. Fred Asbell, which is a book about traditional archery.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I am reading two books the first book of the "Game of Thrones" series and "Doctor Sleep".

I just finished the third book of the Hangman's Daughter trilogy, The Beggar King, which features a pipe smoker as the main character. It is set in 17th c Germany, and is a rich tapestry of mystery, suspense, history, and just plain ol' good story telling.
If you smoke a pipe, like history, and enjoy a good story, you'd be crazy not to delve into these books. There is much researched history of pipes, tobacco, and coffee worked into the series.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have a few books on the night stand. Fortunately due to the fact that I have over a month off from Uni and no work that all of the books are non-academic and there because I want to read them.
Twain - Tom Sawyer + Huck finn in one book - reading mainly due to a recent peterson purchase :)

Hitchens - Hitch22 - Big lover of the great Christopher Hitchens.

Shakespeare - Richard III - attempting to memorize the opening monologue for my own amusement.

Amis - The Pregnant Widow - Martin Amis has got a good reputation, interested in seeing what I think myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.