Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Cormac McCarthey

51PGYSvdOeL.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just finished a reread of Compton Mackenzie’s “Sublime Tobacco,” and, in my attempt to chronologically catch up on all of the Stephen King I haven’t yet read, I’m about a third of the way into “Needful Things.” (I love Stephen King, but I can’t say he’s gripping me with this one.)

Reactions: RonB

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Oh yes...I'm quite familiar with the contrast between the mystical/esoteric view and that of orthodox/institutional religion. In fact, contrasting the two is a large part of what interests me.

I'm sufficiently grounded in my understanding of the core issues, but the institutional perspective leaves a lot of questions unaddressed...as does mainstream secular history (which is mostly a distorted view, and often just worthless)...so we must sort it out on our own.

Organized religion tends to throw out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to the mystical/esoteric perspective IMO. But you are also correct that the mystical view tends to err in the opposite extreme.
Cormac McCarthey

51PGYSvdOeL.jpg

There was talk of making this into a movie , would they have to cgi the Judge? 🤣🤣🤣

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
There was talk of making this into a movie , would they have to cgi the Judge? 🤣🤣🤣
It would be like that CGI Beowulf movie all over again. But worse. Some books aren't meant to be made into films, and Blood Meridian is definitely one of them.

Though No Country for Old Men was phenomenal in both page and celluloid. I constantly go back and forth over which I prefer.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I think there have been several stabs at it but nobody has been able to pair it down to a manageable script length that manages to capture the books vibe.
I would also be difficult to get it off the ground given the political leaning of most of Hollywood.
Perhaps the Coen Brothers will take up the task.
Ridley Scott supposedly took a shot but...

There have been attempts to create a motion picture adaptation of Blood Meridian, but all have failed during the development or pre-production stages. A common perception is that the story is "unfilmable" due to its unrelenting violence and dark tone

Following the end of production for Kingdom of Heaven in 2004 screenwriter William Monahan and director Ridley Scott entered discussions with producer Scott Rudin for adapting Blood Meridian with Paramount Pictures financing.[41] In a 2008 interview with Eclipse Magazine Scott confirmed that the screenplay had been written, but that the extensive violence was proving to be a challenge for film standards.[42] This later led to Scott and Monahan leaving the project, resulting in another abandoned adaptation.[43]

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I think there have been several stabs at it but nobody has been able to pair it down to a manageable script length that manages to capture the books vibe.
I would also be difficult to get it off the ground given the political leaning of most of Hollywood.
Perhaps the Coen Brothers will take up the task.
Ridley Scott supposedly took a shot but...

thanks for the links, I think Scott , could do it justice, I was Joking about the CGI , just saying the Judge is Larger than Life ....

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
677285.jpg

Ignition! An Informal History Of Liquid Rocket Propellants​

Written by someone who was right in the middle of the efforts to develop practical, efficient liquid rocket fuels from the earliest days. An excellent history and a great sense of humor pervades the book.

Reactions: unclefloyd and RonB

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
When I start to forget how absurd life is I crack open this gem by acclaimed borderline cult leader Supreme Master Ching Hai, aka Celestia De Lamour:
View attachment 91906

I suppose it qualifies as poetry, but it contains powerful affirmations such as "Me no fear blizzard thunder!":
View attachment 91907

Or the confidence booster "Can assure you I'm 100% macho":
View attachment 91911

Or even just offers the assurance that it's ok to french kiss your pets:
View attachment 91912

Words of wisdom to live by, along with heavily photoshopped glossy portraits of birds enjoying a higher standard of living than I do.
This is amazing 😂😂

Reactions: MarcosEZLN
Status
Not open for further replies.