PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Corcoran-Rooney

Thank you for your kind offer. But I chose the content about which to write so that no one would ever read it. I chose to toil in abject obscurity. Publish??? Me?? Never!!! Most write to be read; I write to never be read, which in my mind proves my eternal worth:))).
You'll probably be like Van Gogh, people will only appreciate you when you are no longer here lol

C

Corcoran-Rooney

- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson,

- Why Freud Was Wrong (and was he ever) by Richard Webster,

- Once Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

(All at the same time, bad idea, normally only do one at a time)

Reactions: autumnfog and RonB

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I usually stick with one book at a time (with the Sunday paper and some magazines thrown in) but right now I'm jumping back and forth among a few:

Ulysses, by Joyce (a slow go this time, trying to digest the language)
The Year of the French, which I was supposed to read in college for an Irish history class and didn't
Doing my bi-decade re-read of LOTR; am 1/5 through the third book.
And yesterday, because it caught my eye, I picked up Kingsley Amis' Everyday Drinking, which is just a fun joy to read.

It made me wonder: Is there a similar book, but for pipe smoking? (I know there was a recent thread 'Books for Pipers.") Is My Lady Nicotine the closest?

Reactions: makhorkasmoker
C

Corcoran-Rooney

I usually stick with one book at a time (with the Sunday paper and some magazines thrown in) but right now I'm jumping back and forth among a few:

Ulysses, by Joyce (a slow go this time, trying to digest the language)
The Year of the French, which I was supposed to read in college for an Irish history class and didn't
Doing my bi-decade re-read of LOTR; am 1/5 through the third book.
And yesterday, because it caught my eye, I picked up Kingsley Amis' Everyday Drinking, which is just a fun joy to read.

It made me wonder: Is there a similar book, but for pipe smoking? (I know there was a recent thread 'Books for Pipers.") Is My Lady Nicotine the closest?
I enjoyed Ulysses. Joyce's scepticism of nationalism and its inherent anti-semitism was prophetic given what was to come with the Nazis. Although wrong to think Irish nationalism was ever about that, which was an anti-colonial, liberation nationalism. Still, he was on to something. But as far as this forum is concerned, I am minded of the episode where Bloom enters the Bizarre, and comes across a prostitute smoking a cigarette, and tells her 'there are far better ways of engaging the mouth than with a cylinder of rank weed'. I am sure we would all agree fags are cylinders of rank weed, even if that is not quite what Joyce/Bloom meant lol.

Reactions: EssJaySea

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
Thank you for your kind offer. But I chose the content about which to write so that no one would ever read it. I chose to toil in abject obscurity. Publish??? Me?? Never!!! Most write to be read; I write to never be read, which in my mind proves my eternal worth:))).
I have written 2 books. I will give free ebook copies to anyone who wants them. Just PM and I will set it up.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
When I start to forget how absurd life is I crack open this gem by acclaimed borderline cult leader Supreme Master Ching Hai, aka Celestia De Lamour:
PXL_20210809_202437602.MP.jpg

I suppose it qualifies as poetry, but it contains powerful affirmations such as "Me no fear blizzard thunder!":
PXL_20210809_202738101.MP.jpg

Or the confidence booster "Can assure you I'm 100% macho":
PXL_20210809_202946613.MP.jpg

Or even just offers the assurance that it's ok to french kiss your pets:
PXL_20210809_203447233.MP.jpg

Words of wisdom to live by, along with heavily photoshopped glossy portraits of birds enjoying a higher standard of living than I do.

• Love
Reactions: fightnhampster

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
The Last Hero by Peter Forbath. It’s fiction based on the true story of Henry Stanley’s attempted rescue of Pasha Emin and the remnants of the British in Sudan after the fall of Khartoum. A good old fashioned adventure story.

Reactions: depriest1022
Status
Not open for further replies.