Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Pictorial History of the Wild West (1983), by James D. Horan, and Paul Sann. Reading this chiefly because of a bizarre question I've had for years, but haven't found the answer to: What was the 5th card in Wild Bill Hickok's last poker hand? So far, I've seen claims of the Queen of Hearts, Jack of Diamonds, Nine of Hearts, and that he had already discarded, and hadn't received his 5th card yet. Nothing definitive.

Reactions: Gus and brian64

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
9780060934835-l.jpg

At just 300-something pages, this will be a brief history of Germany, but I've forgotten most about the Thirty Years War. Pretty good so far.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Pictorial History of the Wild West (1983), by James D. Horan, and Paul Sann. Reading this chiefly because of a bizarre question I've had for years, but haven't found the answer to: What was the 5th card in Wild Bill Hickok's last poker hand? So far, I've seen claims of the Queen of Hearts, Jack of Diamonds, Nine of Hearts, and that he had already discarded, and hadn't received his 5th card yet. Nothing definitive.
I've always been fascinated with all things old west, but have no clue regarding your quest. You did inspire me though to order a couple of Horan's books...the one you mentioned and another on Pinkerton file research into the James gang and wild bunch.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I've always been fascinated with all things old west, but have no clue regarding your quest. You did inspire me though to order a couple of Horan's books...the one you mentioned and another on Pinkerton file research into the James gang and wild bunch.
Always loved that stuff too, since I was a little kid. I would pretend I was Harry Tracy, and run all around the house with my water pistols, shooting at friends and enemies alike. That was one angry dude. And that was before Washington state banned the importing of pipe tobacco...imagine how pissed he's be today!

• Love
Reactions: Carol and brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Always loved that stuff too, since I was a little kid. I would pretend I was Harry Tracy, and run all around the house with my water pistols, shooting at friends and enemies alike. That was one angry dude. And that was before Washington state banned the importing of pipe tobacco...imagine how pissed he's be today!
That's a pretty bad dude for a kid to be imitating LOL. I had to look him up...not sure I'd heard of him before. The spaghetti westerns were primarily what captured the imagination of me and a couple of friends as little kids...we'd use sticks for cigars and act out scenes. God it's embarrassing to think about it now.

Apparently some dispute as to whether Tracy was ever part of the hole in the wall gang or not. Interesting because there's the story about how Cassidy might have survived and ended up in WA as well...not sure if there's much substance to that though...I've forgotten the details.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Just finished " war of the roses" by Dan Jones. If you have any interest in English history I recommend any book by Mr. Jones ( start with "the plantagenets").He paints a vivid and engrossing picture of kings, queens, battles and customs. Really great anecdotal history which also paints the big picture too. Really great stuff.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I rarely pre-order a book before the publishing date, but did with this one:

The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health, by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It's hilarious, light, heavy and tear jerking at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.