PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson. It’s about Churchill and his circle of family and associates during the Blitz. I never tire reading about this difficult but inspiring time when the British people stood alone fighting against Hitler.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Remind me when I'm making 6 figures from my half-dozen very successful books to never let the publisher talk me into writing a series, as this is apparent book-pushing and in very poor taste.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Remind me when I'm making 6 figures from my half-dozen very successful books to never let the publisher talk me into writing a series, as this is apparent book-pushing and in very poor taste.
I'm personally not a fan of series,, in general, but some love certain series (LOTR, etc)

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Was interested in reading something different (I’m usually attracted towards murder-mysteries); took a shot on this, and WHOAH! It’s a pretty graphic, and brutal, almost slasher film, novel.
Cannibal “family” living in caves along the Maine coast. Going unnoticed as they pick off hikers, travelers and such.
Some vacationers make the unfortunate decision to visit this Maine locale, and all hell breaks loose.
**** Supposedly patterned after Sawney Bean. Did some reading on HIM, and was blown away by that as well.
Great read, and now I’m trying to track down the sequel novel “Offspring”.22BC7491-F2A3-4CB7-8C9E-0E234FCD84C2.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am about through with The Case of the Half-Wakened Wife by Erle Stanley Gardner. It's number 25 on the Perry Mason series. Only 55 more to go.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm personally not a fan of series,, in general, but some love certain series (LOTR, etc)
I'm not saying that a series necessarily makes bad books. And if you like series don't mind me. What do I know other than my unjustified and unjustifiable opinions?

But what I think I know is that the beady-eyed gnomes in the publishing office use the series concept to lock an author into multi-book contracts when the 3 strawberries line up in their minds portending big sales. So they not only grow fat on the first book but also the rest of the books in the contract. It's very much the same for production companies and producers to declare a movie a franchise. These are sales tools of the greedy bastards, and they are very effective not only on the consumers of the art but also those who produce it.

Now the writer can also make out by writing a series but only if he doesn't give away the farm at the first taste of real money he has likely ever had. I would say that if the publisher attaches a provision that they acquire all rights, be willing to walk away. And I would want to be dead certain that I could live with writing the same book over and over for 5-10 years.

I've had an article on the back burner that would be a fusion of Mahayana, Yogacara and the only true philosophical examination that I know of Buddhism by Dharmakirti and Dignaga. But the publisher thinks that he can walk away with the rights. Quite likely he will never publish it because I would rather let it rot on my disk than agree to his terms.

Such publishers set the condition that to be published by them means you surrender all rights. I wonder if they care that a finished piece means being paid no more than $5.00 an hour. The best writing has seen draft after draft after draft. And you want to to waltz away with all rights to my work?

You are not getting near it.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

Are you pissed off because no one is reading your books? Who are you, what have you written? I'll give one of your books a go if I think it worth my time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Are you pissed off because no one is reading your books? Who are you, what have you written? I'll give one of your books a go if I think it worth my time.
Thank you for your kind offer. But I chose the content about which to write so that no one would ever read it. I chose to toil in abject obscurity. Publish??? Me?? Never!!! Most write to be read; I write to never be read, which in my mind proves my eternal worth:))).

Reactions: Corcoran-Rooney
Status
Not open for further replies.