PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Reading "The invention of God: the natural origins of mythology and religion" is a slog of writing but the premise is spot on. And, rereading "The Command of the Ocean: 1649-1815". And I have started "Some assembly required".

Reactions: JOHN72

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Something I never did and hate the thought of it, an Oprah’s best book. American Dirt, the title intrigued me, it was good, put a never thought of ,slant to me on immigrants trying to cross the border. Still think they need to leagally come to US.

Reactions: Carol and JOHN72

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
The Way of the Traitor (Sano Ichiro, #3) - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/463989.The_Way_of_the_Traitor . Working my way through the Sano Ichiro novels by Laura John Rowland. They follow a mid 17th century Samurai detective whose curiosity and need to find the truth often interferes with the Samurai code of honor. The historical accuracy of the period which this is set is probably my favorite part of this series so far. Aside from the obviously fictitious characters, the representations of the actual historical figures of the time and the very detailed way she writes about the geography of Japan is fantastic.

Reactions: LongHairDontCare

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I am re-reading "The Terror" by Dan Simmons.

I plan shortly, well, before the end of the year and when I finish the current thing, to build the scale reproduction of the ship and it is never too much to reread a good novel.

images.jpg

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Re-reading The Hunt For Red October after watching the absolutely atrocious "Without Remorse" movie. What a mess. I needed to remember why Clancy was so good at what he did.
71FMG3F6RAL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Reactions: Carol, RonB and Gus

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Re-reading The Hunt For Red October after watching the absolutely atrocious "Without Remorse" movie. What a mess. I needed to remember why Clancy was so good at what he did.
71FMG3F6RAL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.gif
Yep. Clancy was the master of his milieu. When Red Storm Rising came out I started reading it and never put it down. That was quite a session.

Now re-reading Asimov’s Foundation series.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
I’ve read a few mediocre non-fiction since my last post (mostly related to work), but I did enjoy the most recent at-home read “Five Billion Years of Solitude” by Lee Billings. It’s a nice history of SETI, space observatories, and space exploration built heavily upon Drake’s Equation concerning the possibilities of extraterrestrial life and our ability to actually observe and understand it (if we’re around at the same time at all).

The limited extent of my physics knowledge lies in the videogame Kerbal Space Program, but this was an accessible read on exoplanets and deep time.

00B5E14C-82CB-47B8-9CDB-5A952BAEBF7C.jpeg

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Last night I just finished some light reading. A jaunty short story called Covenant by James Michener. Tonight I start Hopscotch by Brian Garfield. I love the movie, it's time to read the book.

Reactions: KafkaStoleMyBike
Status
Not open for further replies.