PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
For the last several years I have read an Irish related book during the month of March. This year I was hoping to find a cultural history of Ireland, but never found what I was looking for. So I picked up Angela's Ashes and it is quite good so far. Anyone have any Irish related books I can look into for next year?
I recommend:

“Ireland: A Social and Cultural History” by Terence Brown

“Paddy & Mr. Punch” by RF Foster

Reactions: PipePint&Cross

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I just started reading this wonderfully comprehensive examination of Sherlock Holmes that starts with Conan Doyle's idea and goes through all the various incarnations in media up to his recent appearance as Sherlock. Everyone who enjoys the books, radio, movie, TV, and other versions of the character, in short, every Sherlockian, should get a copy.

1710494384276.jpeg

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
Right now the short forever by stuart woods really liking this series....mixing this up with how to sell a haunted house, just the nicest couple, the houseboat (the houseboat is a must read) and Holmes marple and Poe by James patterson

Reactions: dunnyboy

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I've been gifted two of his books but haven't picked them up yet, what's your thoughts on him?
I’ve only read “bonfire of the vanities “, “the painted word,” and this one. I think bonfire is a truly great novel. “The kingdom of speech “ is interesting for its argument about linguistics but it’s written in a jokey exaggerated style that falls flat for me sometimes (in part because it’s been imitated so much). That said, I’m enjoying it

Moraviensis

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
United Kingdom
A (generally) gently and affectionately satirical look at love, ecclesiastical affairs and controversies in the Established Church in England in the 1850s.

I suppose the scheming Low Church chaplain Obadiah Slope (one of a long line of English literary villains cut of a similar bolt of cloth — Uriah Heep is another, so perhaps is Steerpike of Castle Gormenghast) might offend a very devout Evangelical but it is a charming book if clerical hypocrisy is an acceptable subject.

IMG_0901.jpeg

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
A (generally) gently and affectionately satirical look at love, ecclesiastical affairs and controversies in the Established Church in England in the 1850s.

I suppose the scheming Low Church chaplain Obadiah Slope (one of a long line of English literary villains cut of a similar bolt of cloth — Uriah Heep is another, so perhaps is Steerpike of Castle Gormenghast) might offend a very devout Evangelical but it is a charming book if clerical hypocrisy is an acceptable subject.

View attachment 296063
I’ve been reading and re-reading Trollope for many years. Wonderful re-creation of English life with very realistic and human characters except possibly for some of his near perfect heroines.

Moraviensis

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
United Kingdom
I could not agree more, at least as far as the Chronicles of Barset go. I have never gotten round to starting on the Palliser novels — I know I have them somewhere in the house and must start on them after this one.
I’ve been reading and re-reading Trollope for many years. Wonderful re-creation of English life with very realistic and human characters except possibly for some of his near perfect heroines.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I could not agree more, at least as far as the Chronicles of Barset go. I have never gotten round to starting on the Palliser novels — I know I have them somewhere in the house and must start on them after this one.
The first Palliser book - Can You Forgive Her- is not one of my favorites but still worthwhile. The Phineas Finn books and the Eustace Diamonds are especially good. The selfish, scheming Lizzie Eustace in the latter is wonderful.