PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Moraviensis

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
United Kingdom
View attachment 293640

A fake travelogue of a journey up the river Thames taken by three jovial, opinionated, bickering friends. Despite the fact that it was written in 1889, the sensibility still seems very modern and most of the jokes are still quite funny.
A charming light book — Isn’t there a crazed sexton who keeps badgering J. and Harris to come and see some skulls in the church crypt? And an episode involving three strong cheeses that get buried on a beach as the owner is eager to be rid of them, turning the place into a health resort?

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
A charming light book — Isn’t there a crazed sexton who keeps badgering J. and Harris to come and see some skulls in the church crypt? And an episode involving three strong cheeses that get buried on a beach as the owner is eager to be rid of them, turning the place into a health resort?
I haven't gotten to the church part yet, but I read the bit about the strong cheese beach burial last night.

May 17, 2023
Indiana
For the last several years I have read an Irish related book during the month of March. This year I was hoping to find a cultural history of Ireland, but never found what I was looking for. So I picked up Angela's Ashes and it is quite good so far. Anyone have any Irish related books I can look into for next year?

For the last several years I have read an Irish related book during the month of March. This year I was hoping to find a cultural history of Ireland, but never found what I was looking for. So I picked up Angela's Ashes and it is quite good so far. Anyone have any Irish related books I can look into for next year?
I read this one a while back, but it is very well researched and written. I have read most of everything Cahill has written. I highly recommend.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com

My very...interesting aunt gave my a great book about the IRA and its history which as you know, is itself and its ideas present through most of Ireland's recent 150+ years of history and touched on many of them from that lens. I'll see if I can find it.

She got into some trouble in the 1980s for donating a significant amount to the "widow's and orphans " funds that allegedly didn't exactly go to the stated folks.

Reactions: RonB

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Brendan Behan, William Trevor.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com

Found it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_101644_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_101644_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 5
I read this one a while back, but it is very well researched and written. I have read most of everything Cahill has written. I highly recommend.
Crap, I forgot to add the link.
1709749375789.png

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Why not some light reading, such as Finnegan’s Wake? :)

Muskan

Lurker
Sep 21, 2023
I'm reading "The 16 Personality Types: Profiles, Theory, & Type Development" by A.J. Drenth