PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Hope you are as intrigued by it as I am.
I’m only on the third chapter but so far, it’s holding my attention. Crime and Punishment is one my favorite novels of all time but I really had to persevere getting through the first 150 pages or so until the book started picking up. I was afraid The Idiot would start the same way but so far, I’m at least beginning to be intrigued.

Last edited:

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I've long been a stargazing astronomy nut, and historical books on astronomers of the past with lots of intriguing detail make great, slow, "sitting out with a pipe" reads. Some books from long ago, this one fairly new....

Lately, I've been enjoying "Herschel At The Cape, Diaries and Correspondence of Sir John Herschel, 1834-1838" by Evans, Deeming, Evans, and Goldfarb, 1969. A fascinating trip back in time.

Attachments

• Herschel At The Cape .jpg
    Herschel At The Cape .jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
For my next reading adventure, I am going to try Tonya Kappes "mail carrier cozy mysteries. The first one is titled "Stamped Out".

4/5

Stamped Out (A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery Book 1)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I read the first book of Lillian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards", Nice book with an unusual premise. She's written 29 nine books in this "cat" series before passing away in 2011. Generally it is a delightful story of the hero (Jim Qwilleran) and his cat and the murder of the first owner of the cat.

4/5

508903.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I’m only on the third chapter but so far, it’s holding my attention. Crime and Punishment is one my favorite novels of all time but I really had to persevere getting through the first 150 pages or so until the book started picking up. I was afraid The Idiot would start the same way but so far, I’m at least beginning to be intrigued.
My experience with all the russian literature I have read, including these two, is what I call 'the squirm'. No relief until the very last few pages, where you are given the briefest glimmer of hope...I like it, but not all year round!

Reactions: JOHN72

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just finished reading 'Momo' by Micheal Ende to my kids. My dad read it to me when I was 9 or 10 and it left a very profound affect on me, my daughters, 8 and 11, also connected with it very strongly.

I recommend to all, but particularly to those who have children to read aloud to.

Micheal Ende is more well known for writing The Never Ending Story, but I prefer Momo.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
My experience with all the russian literature I have read, including these two, is what I call 'the squirm'. No relief until the very last few pages, where you are given the briefest glimmer of hope...I like it, but not all year round!
The Idiot to me was the least rewarding of the four Dostoevsky novels I’ve read and I found the ending to be rather disappointing..

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Return to a rare reading of fiction. The first Blackford Oakes volume. So far, so good. Not much spy-craft yet. Mostly background and an introduction into how the CIA recruited/trained/worked back in the day. It's probably fairly autobiographical as WFB II was an early employee.

Reactions: JOHN72