Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
My Lady Nicotine, by James Matthew Barrie (my copy has illustrations by M.B. Prendergast). This will be the 3rd trip though these pages over a span of 15 years. Hilariously entertaining read.

MLN.jpg

Cheap paperback editions are out there, too, as it's no longer under copyright. I'd recommend this to any pipe smoker who can appreciate British humor. ;)

Attachments

• MLN.jpg
    MLN.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
My Lady Nicotine, by James Matthew Barrie (my copy has illustrations by M.B. Prendergast). This will be the 3rd trip though these pages over a span of 15 years. Hilariously entertaining read.

View attachment 308065

Cheap paperback editions are out there, too, as it's no longer under copyright. I'd recommend this to any pipe smoker who can appreciate British humor. ;)
Nice looking copy! 👍
Last time I read it was on the Internet, freely available.

Reactions: dottlejockey

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
The Immortal Fire Within: The Life and Work of Edward Emerson Barnard.
by William Sheehan

A wonderful work about the life of a man who through sheer tenacity and fanatical effort drew himself up from grinding poverty and almost no formal education to become one of the world's great astronomers.

Attachments

• Barnard book  (1).jpg
    Barnard book (1).jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 3

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Michigan - A History by Bruce Catton. Mr. Catton (1899 - 1978), a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award winner, was (in my estimation) a brilliant journalist and historian (he was the founding editor of American Heritage magazine). He is perhaps best known for his Civil War trilogy: Mr. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, and A Stillness at Appomattox.

Bruce Catton was the main reason I got into a serious study of the Civil War. The first book I read was "The Coming Fury" which was simply breath taking despite no shots being fired until the very end of it. Mainly covered how Lincoln and Jefferson Davis became presidents of the North and the South. I have a library of over 100 books on the war including "Grant's Memoirs" and the Shelby Foote trilogy on the war.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am reading Emily Organ's seventh book of her series involving Augusta Peele. The book is titled "The Baker Street Murders". The book starts when someone anonymously donated a box of used books on the steps of her bookshop. In leafing through one of them she finds a letter from ten years ago. The book is set in the early 1920's.

4./5

The Baker Street Murders (Augusta Peel 1920s Mysteries Book 7)

Reactions: JOHN72 and KS Pipes

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I've been struck by an itch to reread the Umineko series. Just starting today with episode 1, "Legend of the Golden Witch".

In brief- 1986, Japan. The private island of an extravagantly wealthy family. The patriarch confines himself to his study. Having been given six months to live, he occupies himself all day by bitterly pining over the last love of his youth. Meanwhile, his children fight over inheritance, and the grandchildren try to distract themselves from the previous generation's feuds.
The adults argue long into the night... The next morning, this transitions from just being a family drama to being a murder mystery - There are six corpses in the garden shed, with more on the way.

PS: This novel series? It's software. With a pretty nice soundtrack.PXL_20240507_162037862.jpg

Reactions: JOHN72 and KS Pipes

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am reading Colette Clark's second book that features Lisette Darling as the main protagonist. The book is set in 1934-35. It goes to show you that can't protect some people.

4/5

81Xy15dnt1L._SL1500_.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Alice Munro, Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage.

In memorium.

View attachment 310358

I was fortunate enough to meet her years ago. The mystery writer, Ross Macdonald (Kenneth Millar) wrote a dust jacket blurb for the the 1st American edition of The Beggar Maid; Ms. Munro very generously inscribed my copy with a nice sentiment about Ken Millar for my collection.