PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurePipes

Lurker
Jan 13, 2022
I would say by far I am mostly playing chess when I smoke (avid chess player here) but sometimes I'm just watching TV or driving somewhere or hanging out at this forum like now or...

• Love
Reactions: kg.legat0
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I read about archeology.
I am fascinated how today we follow many of the Roman politics.
I'm weird
Not weird at all, regarding your interests at least.

Two big examples of modern perspectives dating back to Roman times are:

1. "Innocent until proven guilty" started under Roman law and survived to present.

2. Bankruptcy dates to the time of Deuteronomy where debts were forgiven after about 7 years.

Reactions: kg.legat0 and Kal

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I would say by far I am mostly playing chess when I smoke (avid chess player here) but sometimes I'm just watching TV or driving somewhere or hanging out at this forum like now or...
I play a lot of blitz on lichess or chess.com and I hate it when I get too into it and my pipe goes out ,,,lichess handle = VOSGOS chess.com = Gorryman , let’s play sometime

Reactions: kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Reading Dune: House Atreides - part 1 of a three part prequel to Dune ...definitely quite a few bowls and cigars smoked throughout this reading experience :)

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Gentlemen a question. I don't pretend to under stand the mind of men. Help me figure out why a man would bid $150.00 for a used pipe you can buy new for $89.00 . I know I'm not the brightest apple in the barrel. I just can't understand why. Please help.

Deety
When I started smoking pipes in the 1970s I came across 2 pipes - both from the one maker and identical in shape.
One had a killer straight grain. Even as a novice, I could admire that. Unfortunately it was substantially dearer than its sibling.
Being an impoverished student at the time, I chose the cheaper one.
To my regret, even to this day. :confused:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Fight Club, the one movie better than the book.
That seems to be the general consensus, and while I agree the movie is great, I prefer the ending in the book. It is the only book of that author I have read.

The reason I prefer the book ending is because the protagonist is obviously completely insane...dangerously so...and winds up being committed as I recall. The movie ends up essentially normalizing his psychopathy and has him succeeding in his lunatic scheme...which was oddly prophetic in certain ways to the normalizing of certain psychopathies we've been seeing in recent years in society...as well as the parallel between a movement like "antifa" and "project mayhem" in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.