PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaro

Lurker
Jun 1, 2011
The latest book by Ben Rapaport, "An Intimate History of the Tobacco Industry, 1850-1920." Mr. Rapaport, whose articles were featured regularly in Pipes & Tobacco magazine, is also the author of several excellent books about pipes (antiques, meerschaum, porcelain, etc.) and is an acknowledged authority on worldwide pipe and tobacco literature.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Poker strategy books and sometimes philosophy usually. Although I'm watching Seinfeld reruns now while smoking Kohlhase's da Vinci...an academic, I am not.....lol!

Reactions: kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A book of poetry, Winter Recipes From The Collective, by the Nobel Laureate Louirse Gluck, umlaut over the "u", who I was privileged to have as a teacher when she was a very young woman. She's a poet with a depth of precision and yet an accessibility that is unique. This is one of the most handsomely produced poetry books I've seen, from Farrar, Straus Giroux. As a teacher, she was powerfully serious, giving student work a line-by-line reading. The casual writers in the class dropped the course. I have always found her instruction invaluable. Her last name is pronounced Giick.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Apostolic father's??? Unknown to me.
Did you ever try to break in 8 pipes at the same time. A real pain.
You check out throne of glass, and a cort of throns and roses, and cresent city. All 3 by Sara J Maas. My favorite author. Also a discovery of witches. I have an extensive library. About 1,000 books. Historical about Scotland, syfy and fantasy. Most are pretty old. I have been buying books since I was 3.

Deety

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Apostolic father's??? Unknown to me.
Did you ever try to break in 8 pipes at the same time. A real pain.
Apostolic Fathers are early church leaders who lived in the time of the Apostles. Polycarp and Irenaeus are the two most famous.

I've never tried to break in more than one pipe at a time. Sounds too much like work. ?

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Some times bad things happen. That make you have to work. That's life. Looking forward to when I can just smoke. I bought 8 new pipes. So for a while guess I only eat every other day. (Ha ha) ? still need to get more pipes. Replacing 22 pipes total 8 is a good start. The rest will just be slower.

Deety

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I was able to finish S.S. Van Dine's series of books on Philo Vance. These fictional detective stories ran from 1926 to 1939 when the author died. The author's real name was Willard Huntington Wright who was a noted writer and critic around NYC. The books featured Philo, District Attorney Markham, and Sergeant Heath. There were 7 or 8 other folks so that you would have a victim and suspects. Markham and Heath only useful purpose was process the obvious physical evidence of the crime. They never could utter a thought about "whodunnit" that helped Philo in any way. Philo was a wealthy man-about-town who would help the D.A. on cases. To say he was a snob was to say the least about him. In the first few book he came across as a typical aristocratic muckety-muck. Sort of like Nick Charles without the charm and years of police training. Enough said about this guy the better. There are a 12 books in the series and despite my reading them all I can't recommend them.
I really wanted to read the Erle Stanley Garner's books on Perry Mason which are far superior to the Van Dine entries but there are 80 of those and not all on kindle.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Kingdom of ash. The last novel in the throne of glass series. At the moment smoking my st Patrick's day 2020 05. With some pegasus. Tomorrow will be savinelli Friday. Just smoke 673s no others. A tribute to matches 860. Gone but not forgotten.

Deety

Status
Not open for further replies.