PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
The fuzzy papers by H. Beam Piper. First edition.published in 1980. Smoking haunted bookshop in my savinelli 673 fantasia. Flame Graine,,,!

Deety

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
I do YouTube music on my phone while I smoke in the garage with a drink sitting on my Hemi Dodge Charger. Lately it has been Paul Simon. What a library of music. Also Bruce Hornsby. When I can read, it's usually Moby Dick. Not kidding.

Reactions: highwindows

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Currently reading, "I am That" by Nisargadatta Maharaj. Alongside a German repair manual for a BMW R100RT motorcycle I'm trying to bring back to life in the garage.

Listening, incidentally, to "Puff" by Erykah Badu. FWIW. I can relate. :)

Best wishes, all -

C.Rorrer

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar, Europe
Part of my job (academia) is copy editing submitted papers before they get published in our journal. I don't get much time to read for pleasure these days. Currently as I smoke I am reading a paper on the impact of Covid on prostitution and sex trafficking in Italy. Interesting paper, but worse referencing than I've seen in freshman essays. This one is taking a lot of work to get it up to standard.

Reactions: vosBghos

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I’ve been a fan of Jim Corbett as well as Kenneth Anderson since childhood.
Me too! I ordered both their complete works, published in India, years ago. My cat used to jump on me when she saw me reading Corbett at night, I thought I could hear her chuckle afterward. His autobio is interesting also.
I personally think Anderson embellished a good bit, no one gets that lucky that many times and lives.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
Me too! I ordered both their complete works, published in India, years ago. My cat used to jump on me when she saw me reading Corbett at night, I thought I could hear her chuckle afterward. His autobio is interesting also.
I personally think Anderson embellished a good bit, no one gets that lucky that many times and lives.
@romaso Yes I agree that Anderson embellished some stories. I too bought the Indian printed omnibus of Corbett. I appreciate Corbett’s empathy for both humans and the animals he hunted. There’s a very watchable YouTube programme on Corbett
I hope this link works, it was filmed by the BBC when they still produced decent programs.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Reactions: edger and romaso

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar, Europe
Can you send it back and have them revise it? Use your red pen! Tell them your freshman write better; that will motivate them!
I wish, haha. It's a bit of an industry secret but the higher you climb the academic ladder, the more mistakes you're allowed to make, because there are more people (like me, the lowly copy editor) there to correct things for you.
The paper is very good - the research is current, the methodology is sound, it's engaging and generally a worthwhile contribution to the discipline. It just doesn't tick the right boxes in terms of language and formatting for our publication. So, we could send it back to the author and receive a better version in three weeks, or I can clean it up in three days, which I did. That's just how it goes.

Reactions: vosBghos and romaso

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Reading book 3 of the darwath trilogy. By Barbara Hambly published in 1983 first edition. Smoking my comoy tradition with pegasus. Good stuff.

Deety

Status
Not open for further replies.