I've always thought Petty wrote this line in response to the Eagles song:

You need eagles wings
To get over things

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
"Sir Duke" - Stevie Wonder

Back in 81, I was attending IS237Q. Basically, a junior high in NYC. Music, art and shop was mandatory for all students. Music was taught by my homeroom teacher. He passed away some time ago, lung cancer. He used to smoke in classroom before the school started in the morning. In my 7th grade music class, he decided that we will learn guitar. One of the tune he picked was "Sir Duke". Funny thing is, I didn't know the name of the tune until I got this Stevie Wonder CD. Teachers were different back then. I feel that they cared about us. And I respected them for what they did. Most of them had a second job so they could teach.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin and your daddy's too fat

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash

You don't want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Bitch about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

For all the play that victimization gets, it's refreshing to hear the other side of the story. Still, those who have integrated their past remain few and far in between, as doing so takes courage and endurance, victimization a stage that need be let go. In any case a good therapist would only tolerate this for so long. Complicating this is that professional victims are are strongly pulled into addiction, and that very much slows down the rate of recovery if not making it impossible.

Reactions: brian64

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Armando Trovajoli - L'Amore Dice Ciao, from Femina Ridens OST (1969). A-hem...paging @beefeater33! Italian lounge at its best.

Good stuff, Gabe!.............
Been SUPER-BUSY lately, haven't had much time to post. I've been digging this Italian Lounge genre every chance I get.......... it's addicting as hell, isn't it?............ isn't it?.............. Now I'm an an Italian Lounge junkie............ for better or for worse!!..........
I was listening to this one earlier today, I-phone with ear buds, black socks and shorts, planting the garden with a Negroni about every break............... yea, I got it bad.......... thanks, Bud....... ?

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
@beefeater33 I hear ya, bud! Also tending to the garden here (our first, so it's experimental), enjoying my newly bought Savinelli Miele 611 KS bent dublin and a vodka tonic simultaneously. Lollipop is a good one! Although the ex-musician in me disagrees with the choice of Gb7#9 as the final chord. :col: Super addicting nonetheless, I concur! Currently:

Oh yeah...Piero Piccioni - Tears In Brazil, from Camille 2000 OST (1969). To mods: album cover is PG-13, don't worry! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.