PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Farside

Lurker
Dec 30, 2022
Been drinking coconut rum and apple brandy I made a year ago.
Although young, the molasses is really starting to emerge in the rum, and the apple brandy has a lovely oak / toffee apple profile still.
The brandy was made from apple jack I made using my cider press and fermented on the pulp. The applejack was aged for a year, and then run through a pot still once to capture as much flavor as possible.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I began the day by trying a new bourbon cream by Middle West Spirits out of Columbus, Ohio. I should probably do a side by side comparison with Buffalo Trace, Ezra Brooks, and Jim Beam bourbon creams, but I find this to be on the tad bit sweeter side.

Cheers!

CA80B5F4-4606-46CF-89DC-D83E5A7316BB.jpeg

I’ve started off my New Year’s Eve with Maker’s Mark Wood Finishing Series 2022 BRT - 01. Caramel, Butterscotch and burnt brown sugar on the palate, transitions to a beautiful milk chocolate note on the finish that I’m really digging. I’ll compare this to BRT - 02 later this evening.

Cheers!

78569BC0-C09C-4956-A538-A8299461BD6D.jpeg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay-
I had that Tamnavulin Double cask in my cart at my local today............ put it back on the shelf though.......... buying a bunch of gifts and was feeling a bit thrifty..............
Let us know how it is....... 'tis the only one my store carries here in Ohio, and I'm a bit intrigued........
Beef, my Tamnavulin Double Cask duly arrived and was sampled over 2 consecutive evenings, I can say it was quite delightful.

Very similar to the Sherry Cask edition (this too is finished in sherry casks but I guess for less time) but with slightly less sweetness. Just as full bodied and enjoyable so get back to your grocery store and grab yourself a bottle or three ;)

Interestingly my bottle (ordered from Amazon on christmas day) was £20, I looked today and it's shot up to £31:70 so that's one hell of an increase :oops: .

I'm still awaiting their Pinot Noir edition and cabernet sauvignon edition, due to be delivered next week.
tam 2.jpg
Regards,

Jay.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Received a bottle of Angel's Envy Finished Rye for Christmas. Finished in rum barrels. Tremendous neat but made some of the best Manhattans i ever had. Always with a Luxardo cherry (if you have never tried one do so, they are a product well worth spending a bit more money on).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Received a bottle of Angel's Envy Finished Rye for Christmas. Finished in rum barrels. Tremendous neat but made some of the best Manhattans i ever had. Always with a Luxardo cherry (if you have never tried one do so, they are a product well worth spending a bit more money on).
Merton, I once had a bottle of Canadian whiskey (Pikeshead or Pike something?) that was finished in rum casks and it had a very interesting taste. Not unpleasant but it wasn't a bottle I would buy again.

I like bourbon, I like rye & I like rum but that particular bottle kind of put me off seeking out any other rum finished whiskies.

Regards,

Jay.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Last nights libations began with a glass of Russell’s Reserve 13 year Barrel Proof bourbon. I followed that with a couple pours of Sagamore Spirit American Whiskey Rye. A blend of MGP and Sagamore Spirit distillate, bottled at 112.2 cask strength.….Man! I can’t believe I‘ve been sleeping on this distillery. This is amazingly good, and at a price point of $60.00, has to be one of the best “ bang for the buck” bottles out there. I was so impressed that I ordered a couple bottles of their PX Sherry Cask last night, and drove back to the store today to grab a store pick bottle of the straight cask strength rye whiskey ( all Sagamore distillate ), and I’m quite eager to crack it open this evening.

Cheers!

6A923C09-7E98-4C76-91BB-4237C9235C0D.jpeg

950D1043-FA40-4E62-A9F7-1EC458031750.jpeg