PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Straight Virginia has its place. I agree with the OP's assessment in many ways. Like some wines, aging can and does allow some Virginias to take center stage in a pleasant way.

I have fairly humble origins and my tastes in many things can run low brow more often than not. I suppose for me, the destination matters less than the journey, and Virginians just seem to be too much of a destination for my tastes. But I get why so many enjoy them.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
One suggestion that works for me as a fairly new Virginia smoker. As you are smoking and the pipe goes out, don’t rush to relight it. Actually take a number of sips through the unlit pipe. I find that I really get the flavor of the tobacco sometimes more when it is unlit then when it is lit. Try that and see what happens.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I really like a nice straight VA, usually pressed or spun. I feel like the ribbon cut does a disservice to most varietals. Any cut that is not pressed or spun is kind of a waste, in my opinion. Why bother smoking ribbon when you could mash it all together and get ten times the flavour?

That being said, there is nothing wrong with mixing leafs. Right now I'm smoking some of the last Peterson 3Ps in Canada right now, it's a Virginia and Burley plug and to me tastes absolutely wonderful. The Virginia definitely plays the lead role and something like this could be a good transition for anyone looking to get into Virginia's.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I really like a nice straight VA, usually pressed or spun. I feel like the ribbon cut does a disservice to most varietals. Any cut that is not pressed or spun is kind of a waste, in my opinion. Why bother smoking ribbon when you could mash it all together and get ten times the flavour?

That being said, there is nothing wrong with mixing leafs. Right now I'm smoking some of the last Peterson 3Ps in Canada right now, it's a Virginia and Burley plug and to me tastes absolutely wonderful. The Virginia definitely plays the lead role and something like this could be a good transition for anyone looking to get into Virginia's.
Just convinced me to take the plunge into flakes, cakes etc for my next straight virginia purchase, prep be damned, you get out what you put in. ?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Here's my story.

Nightcap was the first blend that I fell in love with after trying various aromatics that were recommended to me as a beginner. I dove head first into English blends and loved them.
I bought a tin of 8yo Union Square for the ridiculous price of $10. I smoked it off and on for a few months and it was just bland.
I gave away the rest of it as samples except for 2 bowls. One day I decided to give it another shot and see if I liked it. This was probably around year after I bought it and about 2 years into smoking a pipe. It was amazing. I couldn't believe how delicious it was. The flavor that struck me the most was toasted bread. The next day I smoked the last bowl and it was just as good. It just clicked out of the blue.

My advice would be to jar up whatever Virginia blends you have. Continue to smoke the English blends you love and periodically smoke a bowl of Virginia and see if it clicks. Make sure you're drying properly and smoking slowly. Don't try to force yourself to like them. Just check back once a month or so and see if you do. It may happen. It may not. I never thought the day would come where I'd like VA's much more than English blends, but here I am. I used to reach for an English blend 10/10 times. Now I haven't smoked anything but VA's and VaPers in months. Technique and palate change has a lot to do with enjoying VA's.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It's also important to find ones that give you what you are looking for. People keep buying up the Luxury Bullseye Flake, and I had 2 coins in April 2020 to a bland experience. It's been in a jar for 13 months and I just had 2 more coins today and other than not quite being as rough, there's still not a whole lot of virginia flavor in there. It's still pretty bland.

I get everyone says you need to let it sit for 5 years for it to shine, but I'm not sure how bland will all of the sudden become flavorful. Other than the spice and little shines of sweetness, what I like from a virginia has so far been completely devoid. Sometimes I do wonder if people buy pounds of stuff, just riding the wave.

Reactions: Reggie

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m just over a year in and still in the same boat. At the rate my tastes have gone increasingly lighter in character over time, I expect to be able to “get” Virginias next year.
It’s almost a year later and I enjoy straight Virginias quite a bit, and lighter blends that are Virginia-dominant. I rarely dip into Englishes of any sort. Too strong unless I’m drinking something strong with it.

l’m still not a fan of spicy perique, so vapers are still lost on me unless the perique is faint.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
It's also important to find ones that give you what you are looking for. People keep buying up the Luxury Bullseye Flake, and I had 2 coins in April 2020 to a bland experience. It's been in a jar for 13 months and I just had 2 more coins today and other than not quite being as rough, there's still not a whole lot of virginia flavor in there. It's still pretty bland.

I get everyone says you need to let it sit for 5 years for it to shine, but I'm not sure how bland will all of the sudden become flavorful. Other than the spice and little shines of sweetness, what I like from a virginia has so far been completely devoid. Sometimes I do wonder if people buy pounds of stuff, just riding the wave.
I love LBF, fresh or aged. It's not a very nuanced or complex smoke but I find to to be sweet and pleasant all day VaPer.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
LBF doesn't blow me away but luxury navy flake was the first non-English that I really "got".

I could taste the sweetness, the rum, the hay and citrus.

I've got a little jarred for aging.

I'm curious to get some new LBFs and compare them to Ken Byron's Ravenseye where he takes LBFs and stoves (or steams?) them further.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have some of the Raven's Eyes, have yet to try them though. I revisited the LBF to see if 13 months in a jar would sway me to buy more than the original 2 ounces and it has not. It's why I suggest trying the many virginia blends that are out there. I'm predominantly a VA smoker and the popularity of some baffles me/don't work for me. I know there's shipment issues going on, but the big 3 PS virginia blends will sell out in 24 hours of being stocked lately.

Reactions: anotherbob

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Big time into English blends myself, but I will enjoy a Virginia maybe once a week.
Try straight Virginias, such as MacBaren Virginia No.1 or Cornell & Diehl Yorktown.
Perique might be what you are not liking, and unfortunately, far to many Virginia blends contain the stuff. I also struggled a while with Virginias until figuring that out. I can only stand perique in a near non existent amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.