PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Probably a bit too soon for Virginias then. Some take right to them while others take longer to develop a palate for them, if at all. It took me nearly three decades to be able to taste aromatics.
*Edit - just noticed this is an old thread*

Agree, it took me several years to be able to taste anything in VA’s.

It’s very obvious in the forum world that VA’s are what most smokers end up gravitating towards, seems to be all the long time smokers appreciate them the most, it’s no wonder why newer smokers want to enjoy them in the same way. They are very frequently talked about, especially in terms of cellaring and how they age like fine wines and taste so sweet, it would be weird if people didn’t want to like them.

To a lot of novice smokers, VA’s taste like smoke, no sweetness and no subtle flavors to discern. It can be worth training your palate to pick up on these flavors but it usually doesn’t happen overnight for most. I found that a VA with a little top dressing/casing helped me discover the natural flavors. Something like Orlik GS or even PS Luxury Twist Flake.

Follow the advice of drying out the tobacco and try different chamber sizes, try not to get frustrated as it’s not likely to win you over overnight. Most importantly enjoy the journey.

Last edited:

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It's not that you are 'not getting' something. Perhaps at least for now you simply don't like them, so don't force anything on yourself. Occasionally try a VA-based blend if you're looking for something new to try, and you may one day find you like them. I used to despise the slightest hint of latakia, now I enjoy a number of burley-latakia blends (but not VA unless as a background condiment). It's like hating scotch but loving bourbon. Just enjoy what you like and keep an open mind to try something different now and then, IMHO.

Last edited:

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'm about a year into my smoking journey. Last year, when I first started looking around at what to smoke, and how, it seemed as Virginias are/ were the holy grail. Oh, you want to smoke a pipe? Smoke a pouch of Carter Hall to learn what you're doing, then start looking for your favorite va.

The more I read, and the more I smoke, the more confused I became. The guys smoking pipes longer than I've been alive, they're loving their age Virginias. Then it dawned on me. They love their *aged* Virginias. And me, not having a clue what I'm doing or why, here I am puffing away on fresh things like a locomotive trying to make up time. Of course it wasn't pleasant!

Since then, I've been adding some Virginias to every order. My hope is that by the time I feel ready to try again my little jars will have enough age and I'll have enough experience that maybe I'll finally get it. And if not, back to the cellar to try again in another year.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Taste is an interesting topic. I had to learn to enjoy coffee, but it took decades to find my preferred.

started with cheap American “yellow” beer to dark ales to IPA. I suspect I’ll transition down and back.

I suspect tobacco is no different.

perhaps you have to taste broadly to come to what you prefer, but leave the door open to learn and experiment.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm about a year into my smoking journey. Last year, when I first started looking around at what to smoke, and how, it seemed as Virginias are/ were the holy grail. Oh, you want to smoke a pipe? Smoke a pouch of Carter Hall to learn what you're doing, then start looking for your favorite va.

The more I read, and the more I smoke, the more confused I became. The guys smoking pipes longer than I've been alive, they're loving their age Virginias. Then it dawned on me. They love their *aged* Virginias. And me, not having a clue what I'm doing or why, here I am puffing away on fresh things like a locomotive trying to make up time. Of course it wasn't pleasant!

Since then, I've been adding some Virginias to every order. My hope is that by the time I feel ready to try again my little jars will have enough age and I'll have enough experience that maybe I'll finally get it. And if not, back to the cellar to try again in another year.
I'd rather smoke a fresh Virginia Flake than a ten year old English blend. No question, Virginia blends age nicely (my opinion) but they're not bad fresh. Fresh must be smoke slower to avoid the rough edges.

Here's what I find interesting. Not long ago I remember a thread about favorite five blends or something like that. Had over 100 posts. As I scanned through the thread, I was surprised at the lack of Virginia Blends listed among people's favorites. But go look at the on line retailers and what genre is more sold out than others? Virginia by far. Based upon the data, I can only assume they don't ship as many tins off Virginia as they do others.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I'd rather smoke a fresh Virginia Flake than a ten year old English blend. No question, Virginia blends age nicely (my opinion) but they're not bad fresh. Fresh must be smoke slower to avoid the rough edges.

Here's what I find interesting. Not long ago I remember a thread about favorite five blends or something like that. Had over 100 posts. As I scanned through the thread, I was surprised at the lack of Virginia Blends listed among people's favorites. But go look at the on line retailers and what genre is more sold out than others? Virginia by far. Based upon the data, I can only assume they don't ship as many tins off Virginia as they do others.
I've tried a couple bowls of each bulk va in my cellar. None I thought were bad, once I learned to smoke. A little rough around the edges and a little "green", but not bad.

I too saw the threads about favorite tobaccos, lack of straight Virginia, and backordered blends on websites. I wonder how many are buying to cellar. If they haven't really tried any or are waiting for the [time frame] mark to offer judgment.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've tried a couple bowls of each bulk va in my cellar. None I thought were bad, once I learned to smoke. A little rough around the edges and a little "green", but not bad.

I too saw the threads about favorite tobaccos, lack of straight Virginia, and backordered blends on websites. I wonder how many are buying to cellar. If they haven't really tried any or are waiting for the [time frame] mark to offer judgment.
I don't believe people are cellaring massive amounts of Virginia totally on the come when their favorite horns are English or some other genre. Many people don't have the financial wherewithal to buy all they want of their favorite blends to invest a significant amount purely on speculation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And me, not having a clue what I'm doing or why, here I am puffing away on fresh things like a locomotive trying to make up time. Of course it wasn't pleasant!
Fresh is kind of a misnomer. By the time most blends hit the shelves they've had a couple of years of aging and are considered at their peak when released if it's from a quality blender. So that fresh blend is actually an aged blend already. Many Virginias to age well, for decades. But the idea that every blend "improves" with age is not true. Many blends change with age and whether that change is an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.

I like some Virginias "fresh" and others with some years of further aging.

One other thing to keep in mind is that "puffing away...like a locomotive trying to make up time" is more likely than not going to result in a poor smoking experience when applied to Virginias. They don't respond well to being pushed. They'll taste like burned tobacco, not like the flavors locked in that leaf. When you smoke them slowly, just letting them simmer or catching that last bit of smoke before the blend goes out, you get the best flavors.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
There is some strange things going on with some of the bulk virginias though. The big PS Virginia bulk blends have been regularly out of stock for the past year. I think there is some social media/online discussion bulk buying when it's the hot topic and everyone rushes to buy. I never saw anyone talking about Newminster 400 until a few months ago and I've seen it go out of stock a few times since.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is some strange things going on with some of the bulk virginias though. The big PS Virginia bulk blends have been regularly out of stock for the past year. I think there is some social media/online discussion bulk buying when it's the hot topic and everyone rushes to buy. I never saw anyone talking about Newminster 400 until a few months ago and I've seen it go out of stock a few times since.
Newminster 400 comes and goes in forum discussions. It was a very popular choice 5-6 years ago. Supply disruptions seem to be a problem in a lot of areas due to a variety of factors, not the least the pandemic.

It may also be that more of production is headed to Asia, where there seems to be a growing market that's happy to pay for what it gets.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
Taste is an interesting topic. I had to learn to enjoy coffee, but it took decades to find my preferred.

started with cheap American “yellow” beer to dark ales to IPA. I suspect I’ll transition down and back.

I suspect tobacco is no different.

perhaps you have to taste broadly to come to what you prefer, but leave the door open to learn and experiment.
Interestingly for me with beers I definitely went down and back.

As far as good or "craft" beer, I started with light easy stuff like Blue Moon. I ended up going all the way down stouts and porters and finding exotic (at least 15 years ago) IPAs like Dogfish 90 minute and I sat there for a while. A decade later and just about the only beers I drink are fruity sours and really light, extremely crisp heffs and lagers.

I probably have less than 3 IPAs a year now. It's funny I've ended up with the "girlier" and easier and more beginner friendly stuff as my favorite after years of only wanting the heaviest, boldest beers.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Interestingly for me with beers I definitely went down and back.

As far as good or "craft" beer, I started with light easy stuff like Blue Moon. I ended up going all the way down stouts and porters and finding exotic (at least 15 years ago) IPAs like Dogfish 90 minute and I sat there for a while. A decade later and just about the only beers I drink are fruity sours and really light, extremely crisp heffs and lagers.

I probably have less than 3 IPAs a year now. It's funny I've ended up with the "girlier" and easier and more beginner friendly stuff as my favorite after years of only wanting the heaviest, boldest beers.
I like “girlier”.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Lots of “guys” talk about single malts, IPAs and craft beers, this bourbon and that cigar as if somehow it makes them…. a step above the rest. The same with tobaccos it seems. After a hard ride in the saddle, I find the nearest dive bar, park the bike and order a couple of Coors Lites. All of the things mentioned above neither make one more a man or a better pipe smoker. Enjoy what you like without guilt or worry. And as an example, I have NEVER lost a round of golf to ANYONE. Thank you Coors Lite.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I suggest you smoke something new to you exclusively for a week or so. The tobacco will have a chance to reveal itself to you. Best wishes.
Wonderfully stated. I take it you too enjoy the hay like peppery far from citrus notes of White Owl as well. LOL. Nothing better when using a popper to pull in a basket load of bluegill. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.