PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I'm relatively new to smoking pipes and have been curious to try all the different categories of tobacco that are involved. So far I have smoked:

SWRA
Lane 1Q
Marylebone (Mixture 965 copy)
C&D Opening Night
Capstan Blue

On the way, I have:
Pegasus
Haunted Bookshop

What should I prioritize trying/buying next so that I can have a well rounded knowledge of different tobaccos?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That's really kind of an open ended question, I think you really need to try types of blends i.e. English, VaPer, VA, Aro, Crossover/English Aro, Burley, VaBur and figure out what style you like. Once you determine what style you like you can start focusing on specific blends.

What have you liked so far? Carter Hall is a very popular OTC codger burley that lots of people like. SWRA is little bitey to me, Capstan is an old standard for VA flake. Haunted Bookshop is a good Burley blend.

1Q is good but RLP-6 is better. RLP-6 is less goopy and burns a little cooler, its more complex as well.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I really enjoy the straight virginias and aromatics so far. I don't think I am a fan of latakia, mainly for the fragrance. But really I'm open to stuff that I may not like, I just want to try a very well rounded selection.

Since I didn't like the M965 copy, are there other types of english blends that I may find more appealing and should try? or will I dislike all of them due to latakia?

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I really enjoy the straight virginias and aromatics so far. I don't think I am a fan of latakia, mainly for the fragrance. But really I'm open to stuff that I may not like, I just want to try a very well rounded selection.

Since I didn't like the M965 copy, are there other types of english blends that I may find more appealing and should try? or will I dislike all of them due to latakia?
Presbyterian.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

Try a Crossover (AroEnglish) like HGL, Edward G Robinson, Distinguished Gentleman, Iwan Reiss ⭐⭐⭐ Blue.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
I can vouch for the Iwan Ries Blue.

I also kinda think the Latakia behaves differently in C&D Byzantium than it does in 965 and it's copycats. Less campfire, and more... For lack of vocabulary, I'll just say, "Funk".

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't care for aromatics, rather I would suggest you try G.L. Pease's Virginias and Vapers. I usually find them quite smokeable. Personally, I like Six Pence and Stone Henge (which some consider an aromatic).

Reactions: huckleberry

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
That's a pretty good variety thus far that you listed. I'd suggest you try a VA/Perique (GLP Windjammer or Sutliff Match Victoria), and a VA/burley (Mac Baren Golden Extra or Peterson Irish Whiskey). If you're digging aromatics, Lane has some good ones beyond 1Q. BCA would be a good foray into Black Cav-based aros.

1Q is good but RLP-6 is better. RLP-6 is less goopy and burns a little cooler, its more complex as well.
^^^^ This

Reactions: Zamora

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I'd recommend a Virginia Perique. Peter Stokkebye Navy Luxury Flake is a good starting VaPer. A Kentucky blend might also be a good thing to check out, Three Nuns is probably the most popular. Be careful when smoking a Kentucky, a lot of people find the nicotine to be very intense. Ditto for Haunted Bookshop

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I always recommend people try a sampler first, and from that sampler, build a familiarity with whichever family of tobaccos their preferred sample stems from. For new smokers, building good smoking habits is important, and briefly sticking to a single genre gives you time to practice with something you know you like and with something you have some good idea of how it should taste. It makes it easier on your palate and your wallet, too. Once you start developing a good feel for how a proper smoke should go (i.e. getting a consistent pack, not smoking too quickly or hotly, etc.), you're ready to better explore other blends and really capture their nuances.

So, you smoked several aromatics and an English, with a couple of burley based blends on the way. There are many genres of pipe tobacco, and there are a few I'd recommend trying. A lot of people here are recommending a virginia or VaPer, and I agree with them. But bear in mind that virginias are less forgiving of bad smoking cadence than most aros and english blends. You can also try a blend with oriental tobaccos or some kentucky dark fired. I won't overload you with specific tobacco suggestions, because half the fun is finding a lovely blend yourself, maybe one that others overlook or goes unappreciated.

But gives those styles a try in addition to the ones you already sampled. If one really catches your fancy, maybe explore other blends similar to that one. Once you build a solid foundation, branch out from there. Or, just buy a little bit of everything and bounce around as you please. There isn't a totally wrong way to do this, by and large.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I highly recommend ordering a sampler of straight c&d blenders: dark burley, white burley, red Virginia, Izmir, dark fired, perique, etc. try smoking them straight. Some of these may seem plain or overwhelming at first, but it will give you a feel for basic components and help you to see what blends may appeal to you and why.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Perhaps it was mentioned, but keep in mind that if you're just beginning with the pipe, it will take time for your tastebuds to evolve. What you like today may not be what you like tomorrow, and vice-versa. As you continue, your ability to discern the subtle differences in blends will improve. It is definitely a journey and a pleasurable one at that. If there is a blend that you don't care for, put it in a jar and come back to it later. You may wind up enjoying it later on.