PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I hear you people are soft and cutable. So why would they wear PPE.
And I mean sure a lot of business has always been about reading and dealing with social things, like how salesman rarely call new clients names, but they should stop thinking about that totally.
Well again I hear you. Buildings burn so why worry about the lit candles being near the open window with curtains. I mean you can't stop that from ever happening so why minimize the risks, especially the very avoidable and controllable risks. Or in other words because it's worth more to spend some money to make more money and not lose even more in a way that is very easy to do. You know as I am sure you understand the concept of risk and reward.
Another note, Iā€™m not sure what you mean with ā€œyou peopleā€ but if you plan on denigrating my work Iā€™ll help you. Iā€™m not a firefighter. Iā€™m a fire investigator.

Swing harder if youā€™re going to chop my tree down.

Reactions: wyfbane

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Feel free to fight for verification.

I donā€™t look for verification as a badge of honor or reliability.
I don't either. For one thing when I hear rumors about myself I find them really entertaining. The worst the better. But it doesn't change the fact that for some people it's provides a clear benefit for. A clear benefit that can be justified by their bottom line. That's all. Just cause it's stupid for me or you, doesn't make it a completely stupid thing. You know like insulin.
Politicians and Journalists are verified and spew propaganda all the time.
And it's amazing how many people don't seem to have any b.s. filter. You should meet Jim he'll believe anything if you say it confidently. Anything. (not our Jim by the way).
We obviously view verified differently.
What is there to view differently? Verification is just a third party saying we've taken steps to vouch for this being the person or entity they say they are (part of the twitter fiasco is how poorly they did implemented it). What people do with it, that's a different story. But to some people it's a legitimately valuable thing that can effect the quality and quantity of bourbon they swill. Other people confirm that a fool and his money will soon part.
I think we both think if you or I paid for verification that would be pissing our money away.
As for fire, I donā€™t give a shit if someone transfers gas with an unprotected motor, smokes in bed or uses candles near drapes.

I worship stupidity. I earn a living on peoples ignorance and bravado.

Death and destruction is my business and business is good.
Sure but just because that happens doesn't mean people shouldn't protect themselves when the precautions are much simpler then the ramifications.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Another note, Iā€™m not sure what you mean with ā€œyou peopleā€ but if you plan on denigrating my work Iā€™ll help you. Iā€™m not a firefighter. Iā€™m a fire investigator.

Swing harder if youā€™re going to chop my tree down.
you people as in humans. Just people. We're soft and bleed and live in a world that's pretty dangerous for us. Not denigrating you're work at all. In fact I could probably listen to you talk about for hours on end with or without the aid of alcohol.
The way I put it in retrospect was clearly a very poor attempt at some bit of levity. A I am about to be a bit of dick, but I advise against taking it too seriously. Which clearly did not work at all as intended.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
you people as in humans. Just people. We're soft and bleed and live in a world that's pretty dangerous for us. Not denigrating you're work at all. In fact I could probably listen to you talk about for hours on end with or without the aid of alcohol.
The way I put it in retrospect was clearly a very poor attempt at some bit of levity. A I am about to be a bit of dick, but I advise against taking it too seriously. Which clearly did not work at all as intended.
I take what I do very seriously. I go into burned out structures and figure it out.

I find Waldo after the prick left the building.

I also apologize if tripped on the wire.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I started a Facebook page earlier this year. Mainly to assist me with my ministry because so many people are on facebook. I'll say this about it; Number one, I'm not really impressed with it. Number two, I don't like it very much. If I had to pay to use it, it'd be gone in a heartbeat... Truth be told it might not survive Lent.

There's so much unnecessary drama on Facebook. It almost makes me sick. I can't fathom how people do social media all day long on multiple different platforms. I don't have the stomach for it. I barely have enough strength to do a minimal YouTube channel... Which again, might not last very much longer either for much of the same reason.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I started a Facebook page earlier this year. Mainly to assist me with my ministry because so many people are on facebook. I'll say this about it; Number one, I'm not really impressed with it. Number two, I don't like it very much. If I had to pay to use it, it'd be gone in a heartbeat... Truth be told it might not survive Lent.

There's so much unnecessary drama on Facebook. It almost makes me sick. I can't fathom how people do social media all day long on multiple different platforms. I don't have the stomach for it. I barely have enough strength to do a minimal YouTube channel... Which again, might not last very much longer either for much of the same reason.
distractions.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
...this is a revenue collector and nothing else.

Apparently Mr. Zuckerberg plans to charge folk a fee to verify who they are. Did he not see what happened when another American zillionaire did the very same thing only to have it turn around and bite him in his backside?

And this bit absolutely stinks..

"Meta said Instagram usernames will have to match a government supplied ID document to be granted verification, and users will have to have a profile picture that includes their face".

The mid boggles cray

Regards,

Jay.
Meta has lost a lot of ad revenue, so Zuckerberg is floating this turd to replace it. The cost to subscribers will be about $15 a month.

The bloom is off the vine for Tech, what with massive layoffs. The ID requirements don't surprise me as it protects the company from a level of legal risk due to ID fraud. If people acted better than they do, this wouldn't be happening but things are what they are.

Don't like it? Don't be on Facebook or Instagram. It's not like there aren't alternatives, such as dumping antisocial media entirely. Also, with the renewed interest in striking out article 230, it's in Facebook's interest to pursue this requirement whichever way the decision goes.

After all, Facebook and it's competitors are for profit businesses, not public services.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
To put things in perspective for you guys that don't understand the significance, the "city" (glorified suburb of the large city north of us) where I live has 20,000 people. 12,000 of them are on the community FB private group.

Small local businesses that have a nice FB profile and interact on the community group (post memes, hype up the old ladies when they post selfies, shout out school events, etc) get ALL the business, small businesses that aren't on that FB group or that get a bad review on it, go under in a couple months. It's that simple.

I don't particularly like Facebook, but if I had a small business here in town I would for sure have a verified profile and be hyping my business on Facebook, it would be stupid not to, at least in the local market.

• Sad
Reactions: olkofri and brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To put things in perspective for you guys that don't understand the significance, the "city" (glorified suburb of the large city north of us) where I live has 20,000 people. 12,000 of them are on the community FB private group.

Small local businesses that have a nice FB profile and interact on the community group (post memes, hype up the old ladies when they post selfies, shout out school events, etc) get ALL the business, small businesses that aren't on that FB group or that get a bad review on it, go under in a couple months. It's that simple.

I don't particularly like Facebook, but if I had a small business here in town I would for sure have a verified profile and be hyping my business on Facebook, it would be stupid not to, at least in the local market.
Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I DO NOT and WILL NOT engage Facebook; and, considering the theft of concept from Divya Narendra, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, and the resultant law suit at the core of it all, around here, we refer to that creature as: Mark ZuckerBURGLAR.

'Nuff Said. - Sherm Natman

Last edited:
Reactions: MCJ and brian64

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I take what I do very seriously. I go into burned out structures and figure it out.
Does seem like important work. You've probably done more good then many less gruff people.
I find Waldo after the prick left the building.
That would be an interesting question. How common do you think arson actually is? As in on purpose burning things that shouldn't be burnt and common is stupidity being dangerous?
I also apologize if tripped on the wire.
Not sure what that means. But it's all good.