PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Had my sister in Mo send me a corncob pipe, two to be exact. I never bothered to say make sure it has the "logo" on the bottom. MISTAKE,lol. I just received two pipes that if you let one up, it would burn right thru the bottom on the first smoke. Two Pieces of S... I pressed my finger gently on the bottom of the one, finger went right thru. Jeesh, if China is going to copy at least they could make something that works for a week or so. Oh well, lesson learned. :|

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
It sounds like YOUR mistake... for not telling your sister to get Missouri Meerschaum pipes. :D
I've never had a MM pipe burn out like that.
As for the Chinese copying them, they'd have to raise the special corn hybrid that MM uses to get a tough, woody cob suitable for pipes.
Yes, I've heard that the MMs with their logo hot-branded on the bottom plug are more durable than the ones with just a MM sticker.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
totally right, I own that mistake. Luckily I found a source here, old general store and the elderly lady has a few back behind the counter. Very happy about that, the cob is my go-to guy. I've never had one where the logo is burned in the bottom. The ones with stickers are a god send. Work construction and they are always to rely on. Secret be told, nothing to me smokes as good as a cob.

cwlinsj

Lurker
Jan 31, 2011
I don't have any of my cobs handy, but doesn't MM put a wood plug on the bottom of theirs?

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Not all of them do cwlinsj. None of mine do as a matter of fact, but the corn used in their pipes is a specific corn used only in the making of pipes, almost like wood. side note, you do not waste any baccy with a cob, easy to smoke it all to the last puff. Fred wrote a great piece about cobs on here by the way.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
As a newbie here, I have to say that the corncobs have been a treat. I have one briar pipe, 2 cobs and 2 MM Hardwoods. The 2 MM hardwoods are unsmoked becuase I just really enjoy the MM Country Gentleman. Has a smooth finish on it, a bit weighty and smokes great (in my inexperienced opinion). It has become my go-to, but I'm eyeing up some estate pipes, so that may change!
Regarding the MM Hardwoods, any thoughts? I'm reluctant to give them a whirl.
Sean

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I'm a newbie myself, but I love cobs. I primarily smoke my 4 diplomats and legend. The sweetness of a cob is a treat indeed. Nothing burns better with burley.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I love cobs for trying out new tobaccos or for when I don't want to risk a briar, such as in the cold weather or fishing/hunting etc., and they smoke well to boot. I have purchased one of those Chinese copies though but I only got duped out of $1.50 including shipping from China lol. I still have it though as a reminder of what not to order. I am just sorry that your sis was fooled too. I hope you enjoy your new cob and happy puffing my friend.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Hey Sean, to answer your question I have smoked one of the MM Ozark Mountain Cherry pipes before. It smokes good for the price! Just make sure you take it slow, with being new and the thin walls can get hot. I also got one of those china knock off's, my mother bought it for me. Burnt through the walls of the bowl on my first few puffs!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I too love my cobs, but given the propensity to terrible weather here on the "wet" coast, I've recently invested in a couple of the MM hardwoods (1x maple finish, 1x cherry finish) for camping/boating season. Like Oldjazzlover stated, take it slow at first, but once you get a cake built up, they provide an awesome smoke.

They do taste a little off for the first few smokes (just like cobs), but once you get the end of the stem well charred, your golden. I've found actually leaving the filter in for the breakin period helps to eliminate some of the "woody" taste.
Also, like the cob, there is next to no QC on the hardwood pipes, so take a good look to make sure everything is properly drilled and lines up nicely (even though they are less than $10, I hate spending money needlessly on borked items).

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have one of those oddball cobs sitting here on my desk as I type that came in a batch of other pipes. I may smear a bit of pipe mud into the bottom just to see if I can get it to smoke without burning through. When I was buying cobs a lot I always filled the space on either side of where the shank protruded into the bowl with pipe mud to avoid wasting tobacco.

isodave2

Lurker
Jan 8, 2011
Missouri Meerschaums are great pipes. I just bought a couple new bits from walkerbriarworks.com which has added enjoyment to an already great smoker.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
All I smoke are MM cobs. I have 6 Country Gentlemen in rotation right now, reserved for different styles. I've got 7 more and a supply of replacement stems sitting in a drawer for backup. I don't have any money to pursue pipes at the moment; why have one middling briar when I can have 12 or 13 cobs? They all smoke well and I love the way they look and feel. And if something goes wrong, no problem - toss it out without any guilt.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for all the insights...
Tried to fire up the MM Hardwood (cherry) last night and honestly I couldn't smoke 10% of the bowl I packed, the taste was just horrible. I was smoking some 1Q I'm trying to knock off and I'm not sure if it is the hardwood / 1Q combination or what but I wanted a tasty late evening smoke and that wasn't it.
I recall a bit of "corny" taste with my cobs, but this was more bothersome. I'm not giving up though and I think you're right about building a cake and charing the stem in the bowl.
I'm an avid sailor and have very high hopes and daydream about a pipe, my boat and summer sails on Lake Michigan. Well even if the hardwood doesn't cut it, I'm liking my MM Cob Country Gentleman.
Sean

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Well I'm a happy sailor today, After I dropped off the youngens, I stopped in a little shop to buy some pipe cleaners. bought the last four and even took the sign they were on lol. Can't get the fancier ones here, but the legends and plainer ones work fine too. For what their purpose is, you just can't beat em. And if you break one it don't have to break your heart either. You know, I'm surprised that those China copies have not been sued yet, no seriously, I'm against frivilous lawsuits but those things are a real disaster in waiting. I mean, a pipe for christs sake that aint built to be smoked whatsoever. Scary to think of some unsuspecting guy getting a red hot bowl going and then setting it down to answer the door to a long winded sales person or the like. It'd be like setting a big red hot coal directly on the table!

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
I'm not a total corn snob, but to me if you get a genuine MM and, of course, smoke it properly (as you would with any pipe) you'll get a darn good smoke.

I have a rack full of cobs and my favorites are the MM Great Danes and Diplomats, both have hardwood bottoms.

The Country Gentlemen do not, but they're still good smokers. However, the bowl walls in the Danes and Diplomats are slighty thicker and never get hot -- no matter what blend I'm smoking.

And every time I buy a Cob from MM I always get an extra stem (they're only 50 cents). However , I haven't had to use one yet.

I'm in the process of breaking in an MM Great Dane Spool, my newest cob.

Yes, I suffer from MMAD (a cob variation of PAD).

And just to prove I'm not a total corn snob, I'm smoking an old Dr. Grabow Savoy as I post this.

It's very pleasant, but it's no cob.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I hear you, cornguy. It pays to pick up the additional stems, that's probably the first and/or only thing to give out on the pipes. They take quite a beating and still smoke very pleasantly.
I'm not a cob snob but my experience has been limited to MM by choice; I will some day buy some briar(s) and hopefully that will be just as enjoyable, if not moreso.
As for the hardwood bottoms, I've managed well without them so far - I'm in no rush to go for anything else. There's something to be said for a variety of pipes with the same approximate shape and size. Adds a little more consistency to your experiences. One day I will go for the thicker walled/hardwood bottom varieties for a trial.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Sparroa, good for you. When it comes to cobs, MM is the king.

Now, you should know that I am somewhat prejudiced since I live about 45 miles from the MM company here in Missouri.

I started smoking a pipe in my teens, Dr. Grabows and the trusty and affordable Yellow Boles.

Later in life, in the 70s, I went upsacale as pipe stores offered Savinellis, GBDs and Dunhills, "house" pipes and moderately-priced "seconds."

I must say all deliverd good smokes with very rare exceptions.

But I came to the MM cobs late in life and I can say, without qualification, I have never smoked any MM that I didn't enjoy.

They are simple and friendly chums to all sorts of tobaccos.

I still like an old briar every now and then, but the MM cobs are my daily companions.

So maybe I am a Cob snob after all.

jayhp

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
All of mine are MM's. They do burn hot a lil.The 2 in my rotation right now are the country gentleman and the patriot. The patriot has a hardwood plug and a slightly smaller bore. I recently ordered yellow stems ( for the filtered models), I ordered 4 extra stems.They are only .25 cents a piece, and shipping is $6.00 from MM. I like them a great deal more that the black plastic ones. There is a website that makes any stem for MM cobs from vulcanite to acrylic. I think its called forever stems. Since Im a new member, i dont exactly know the policy on posting websites in the forum.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
What do you guys think of making your own corncob? Of course it would never stand to the quality of MM. Anybody attempt it? thinking of giving it a shot of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.