What’s Your Favorite Pipe Shape for English?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
There is another thread talking about your favorite English blend, and I just wondering do you use specific pipe or shape for your favorite English blend ?

An Italian briar flame grain straight billiard with a lenticular shank, sandblasted exactly 4.5 times and a chamfered bowl.
4.75" in length, 1.45" chamber depth with an exact inner diameter of 0.764".
Must weigh exactly 1oz with a saddle stem made only of 16 swirl SEM Limited Edition cumberland rod, fully funneled and slotted. Button thickness of exact 3.87mm
Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: ormazd

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a large straight billiard that I use for most English blends, a Savinelli 111KS.
Occasionally, if a blend seems overbearing, I can load it in a Savinelli 606KS, a bent variant, and this pipe seems to tone down the impact of the latakia.
Some insist that the pipe has no impact on flavor. That has not been my experience with all other factors controlled.
savinelli2-450x600.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: crawdad

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll use anything for them, but I do generally stick to wider bowls. When it comes to english blends I often find myself gravitating toward short wide pots/princes if it is a flake or plug, and a large billiard or dublin if it is ribbon cut. Maybe my palate isn't mature enough yet, but I have not noticed any tremendous difference in flavor based on the shape, other than the fact that larger/deeper bowls provide another layer towards the end due to the additional quantity of tobacco that has been smoked prior to it burning.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Apparently, shape means nada to my palate.
That said, back in my Nightcap days, a Pete spigot 68 was the way to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wide bowls are a good idea -- pot, author, prince, etc. But just for grand tradition, maybe billiards, and especially bent billiards speak with a distinct British accent, even if the English has a little burley.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Same as Alaskanpiper: wide bowls, and I want small ones in all my pipes (limited to short smokes, I am).
I bought an Al-Pascia Curvy for English blends, but the bowl turned out to be too deep: thinking of dedicating it to something else.
All that being said, my "Englishes" pipe is a cheap bent billiard cob.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Pots are my first choice for an English. Comoy's makes some cheap ones with chamber diameter's in the .80 to .85 range that seem just perfect to me for smoking English blends.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I like English blends in wide bowls. My preferred shape is a pot. I figure I get more flavours at once. More narrow billiards for Virginia’s to let the flavours develop. My logic anyway

Reactions: vates

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any pipe with a round chamber.
So, the pocket, swivelling-stemmed pipes are out? :P
Heh. I do have an "opera pipe" or maybe it's a "theater pipe". Narrow chamber (oblong), smallish, to fit in one's vest or suit pocket, so I was told.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One blend tastes exactly the same to me regardless of which pipe I smoke it in, so any pipe will do.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I enjoy smoking english blends while walking the dogs so I often smoke them in small nose warmers with wide bowls. Or maybe i enjoy my english blends in a nose warmer because I enjoy walking the dogs... egg before the chicken?
b35f580e-5408-43ff-ab50-b56cd5fd8c41-600x450.jpg

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
I enjoy my English in pot, author, bent brandy, and waiting for my Dunhill prince coming on his way from UK.

My Peder Jeppesen bent brandy

img_1387-150x112.jpg

Recently change this acorn from BriarWorks bought in Houston The Briar Shoppe, to smoke English blend, and found it’s so great, although chamber size isn’t as wide as my other pots, and it’s coning…

img_1397-112x150.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.