What’s Your Favorite Pipe Shape for English?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmpeace

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
I haven’t found a difference between the pipes I use. Tastes the same in my billiard as it does in a bent egg I have.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You got the URL of the thumbnail. Open the full sized image and get the URL from that, and you'll get:
(Is that really a pot?)
img_1397.jpg

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Both of my dedicated English/Oriental pipes are Bulldogs. At some point, I'd like to get a prince and a Sav 320 for these blends as well. Both of my billiardish pipes smoke Englishes well, too.
I notice pipe shape has more of an effect on flavor with VA based blends than Englishes, but I also prefer wider bowls with my English. I don't know if it actually works this way or not, but I feel like wider bowls are better for ribbons because you're more likely to get the complexities of all the components with the extra wide diameter.
I prefer taller, narrowish bowls for sweeter, VA-based blends. I feel like that extra height allows the leaf below the ember to get some of that good, slow-cooking, low temperature smolder that delivers more sweetness and nuance with VAs. Of course, you could say the same of the leaf adjacent to the ember in a wide bowl, so... {Internet Shrug}

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Always liked a traditional Billiard or Liverpool for English blends........ here lately I've been enjoying them in a few bent bulldogs too.........

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
For me the more complex the blend (which means the more components in it) the wider the bowl. Other than that shape does not have an impact.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
"Some insist that the pipe has no impact on flavor. That has not been my experience with all other factors controlled."
Thanks to Jaytex969 and Jameshsi for stating this. I've heard from some that it is all about the engineering, physics, etc.

There are dramatic differences in how some of my pipes taste, and I have to believe that it has to do with the briar.
I have a recent estate, a not inexpensive pre-trans Barling -- oh hallowed Barling -- , that tastes dreadful in spite of having been purchased from a highly reputable vendor. And salt, coffee grounds, etc. etc.
Pipes -- mysterious things.......

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a recent estate, a not inexpensive pre-trans Barling -- oh hallowed Barling -- , that tastes dreadful in spite of having been purchased from a highly reputable vendor. And salt, coffee grounds, etc. etc.
Stem airway could be oxidized.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Hi, Jpmcwjr , TKS.

Here comes the PJ bent brandy:

img_1387.jpg

Also, I did say the BriarWorks one is a "acorn", not a pot.
Recently change this acorn from BriarWorks bought in Houston The Briar Shoppe, to smoke English blend, and found it’s so great, although chamber size isn’t as wide as my other pots, and it’s coning…

The actual outside shape of the pipe doesn't matter, but I do like a pipe between .8"-1" wide chamber with less than twice as deep. A .8" by 1.2" deep pipe would be perfect. I don't like tall narrow bowls for latakia. It doesn't stove well IMO.

It's funny how guys will go to the shape or exterior of a pipe for size. Like using those Dunhill pipe group sizes which merely tell us the size of the briar used.

Reactions: litup and voorhees

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The actual outside shape of the pipe doesn't matter, but I do like a pipe between .8"-1" wide chamber with less than twice as deep. A .8" by 1.2" deep pipe would be perfect. I don't like tall narrow bowls for latakia. It doesn't stove well IMO.

It's funny how guys will go to the shape or exterior of a pipe for size. Like using those Dunhill pipe group sizes which merely tell us the size of the briar used.

This!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I use a Savinelli 316 KS Capri Root briar for my English and cross-over blends (Frog Morton, Shortcut to Mushrooms and the likes). It is my only pipe that has a bowl that is much wider than it it is deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.