Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Interesting reaction when he saw you. No hello, no that smells good or that stinks, no what are smoking. Hopefully he's not always that anti-social, unless you think he's a jerk and you don't want him to be social. LOL

If I had a neighbor that smoked a pipe or a cigar, I definitely would let them know I enjoy the same and would offer them to come over for a smoke and a drink.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I think im the only person in my entire city who smokes a pipe. Despite France being a huge pipe producer, it's very very uncommon here. I wish more people around me smoked cigars or pipes so I could chat with them about it.
Yes, I sort of feel the same sometimes in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I had a young person come up to me this week though and ask me about where I bought my Savinelli.

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
Weather he liked it or hated it I would have liked to to know his opinion. Maybe he could have gave me some suggestions on a cigar that he likes that I would be willing to try,not a big cigar smoker but I'd give it a shot

Reactions: Searock Fan
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Have you talked with your neighbor before? If not, definitely try to break that ice. I'm lucky enough to have a cool neighbor to smoke cigars with about 1-2 times a month. If I'm not in the mood for a cigar, I'll fire up a pipe instead. And we'll just relax on my patio or his deck, smoking, talking and drinking for a few hours.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Weather he liked it or hated it I would have liked to to know his opinion. Maybe he could have gave me some suggestions on a cigar that he likes that I would be willing to try,not a big cigar smoker but I'd give it a shot
Back when I owned a store we used to get a lot of cigars damaged by idiot customers. They were not sellable but were smokeable. As a result I ended up smoking hundreds of different ones. For what it's worth, my favorite was either Punch or Hoyo de Monterey, (theyr'e the same) Rothchild (4.5"x50) in maduro or double maduro. I was always mainly a pipe smoker and haven't smoked a cigar in years. puffy

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
As for cigars not a fan.Hate the sogginess of the wrapper it gets ,only ever smoked 2 cigars in my life. That is why I think I prefer a pipe..but it would has been nice to talk or share a smoke , but I don't enchate.....guess that is my problem

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I run into the occasional pipe somker in France. Im sure there are a lot of pipe smokers but a lot of people (me included) tend to do their pipe work at home. Occasionally I take it out with me but for me its one of those sit in the garden or in my chair thing.

jediofthecode

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
France
I run into the occasional pipe somker in France. Im sure there are a lot of pipe smokers but a lot of people (me included) tend to do their pipe work at home. Occasionally I take it out with me but for me its one of those sit in the garden or in my chair thing.
Really ? I have yet to meet a single one out in the wild.

Maybe it's a regional thing though.

Reactions: keith929

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Thinking about cigars..... Years ago I knew this character who chain smoked cigars. When they got to the point they were burning the tip of his nose, he would gently put them out and line up the butts along the edge of a shelf. After they had dried out he would use a cigar holder to smoke the butts down to nothing. Yuk! cray

Reactions: Winnipeger

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I never really got into cigars. I tried. I have a small humidor, and I will smoke them on rare occasions, but once I got my pipe smoking sorted out, I haven't touched them. Plus, with little kids, the idea of getting 2-3 hours to enjoy a cigar is laughable on its way to delusional.

I always enjoyed the Avo Domaine Avo 50's. The first time I tried Haunted Bookshop, they immediately reminded me of Avo 50's. So much so that I wrote it down in my tasting notes. I came back to the blend 3 years later, having completely forgotten about my previous review, and wrote down the same note.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'm lucky where I live. I met my neighbours up and down the block around 2014-15 when there were a couple of annual block parties. (They haven't happened since.) I was smoking a 2004 Puros Indios from Honduras at a bonfire in my neighbour's front yard the night of the block party. I didn't know any of them very well at that time. [I bought a box of cigars in Honduras, and one in Nicaragua, when I was in Central America working on a ship in '04-'05. Anyway, the Indios held up amazingly well and I've got 2 sticks left from that box still. Killer cigars to begin with. They became spicier over time. Kind of peppery from their original grassiness. Go figure. By the way, I agree with @Searock Fan about Punch/Hoyo De Monterey big time. Good cigars come from Honduras. I've smoked a lot of Cubans too but there's something about the flavour of Hondurans...They seem a little sweeter/grassier. I don't know. In Roatán I bought fresh hand-rolled green cigars from kids selling them by the port, three for a dollar. They were yummy but only burned for about 12 minutes...]

So I ask the neighbours at this bonfire if they mind if I smoke a cigar and one of them (the one who's yard we're sitting in) says, "No it's fine. I smoke a pipe myself", though he didn't smoke it that night for whatever reason. Two years later that offhand remark crept to my consciousness and I'm like, "Hey! I should get a pipe!" (((...and 150 pounds of tobacco! :ROFLMAO:)))

Then Covid hit and the pandemic brought my family closer together with the neighbours because we were all stuck at home and started seeing each other more often and talking. Now we've got a network of friends up and down the block and I'm lucky to have a pipe smoking neighbour who I hang out with when ever we have a free evening.

As for being ignored by your neighbours, that's how it used to be in my neighbourhood, and I was the one avoiding talking to people. Some people are shy. Some people are misanthropes. One of my students told me once, "Well...you're a misanthrope." I didn't think I was that bad. I looked it up. "A person who dislikes humankind, and avoids human society." Yeah...a little. Does that make me an asshole? puffy

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think im the only person in my entire city who smokes a pipe. Despite France being a huge pipe producer, it's very very uncommon here. I wish more people around me smoked cigars or pipes so I could chat with them about it.
I've found there are more pipe smokers around then it seems like. I smell one in my neighborhood often. I've run into a few and occasionally see someone or other smoking in their vehicles.

Reactions: Rossi320