PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Easy Off Oven cleaner is an excellent varnish remover, and it’s probably under your sink right now.

Make sure to only use it on the outside of the pipe, outside your home.

As the little boy said, that there is some kinda deadly pizzen, lest you are keerful with it.:)

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Easy Off Oven cleaner is an excellent varnish remover, and it’s probably under your sink right now.

Make sure to only use it on the outside of the pipe, outside your home.

As the little boy said, that there is some kinda deadly pizzen, lest you are keerful with it.:)
It doesn't appear that varnish needs to be removed. It looks like he just needs to dig polish out of the grooves. The toothpick recommendation is a good suggestion.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I hate to say it, but a rigid pick will only do an 80%-85% job when the grooves are irregular.

For 100% removal you'll either have to dissolve & flush the pink stuff out, or use a 3M radial bristle brush of the right size, grit, and rotational speed (probably after softening it a bit with a hot air stream, but maybe that wouldn't be necessary).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If that’s Renaissance wax, wouldn’t a heat gun be enough to melt the caked wax enough that it got thin enough that it wouldn’t be visible?

Depending on the type of wax, heat could either fix the problem or make it worse.

Best bet is to smear some on a piece of scrap wood, allow it to dry as long as what's on the pipe has dried, and then see if a heat gun will melt it or fossilize it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Dr. Grabow used a machine to cut those ridges and another machine to spray some kind of stained varnish on it.

There are many solutions to this problem, but Easy Off is the easiest and quickest.

Married men need to do this on the sly.

Get her can of Easy Off, go outside, get the Grabow cleaned down to bare briar, and don’t ask permission.

Wash the thing afterwards.

Easy Off is deadly, but it’s how she cleans her oven.

Reactions: Beowoulf
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Dr. Grabow used a machine to cut those ridges and another machine to spray some kind of stained varnish on it.

There are many solutions to this problem, but Easy Off is the easiest and quickest.

Married men need to do this on the sly.

Get her can of Easy Off, go outside, get the Grabow cleaned down to bare briar, and don’t ask permission.

Wash the thing afterwards.

Easy Off is deadly, but it’s how she cleans her oven.
I must say, Easy Off is a poor recommendation in this instance. If you look closely, the finish is intact. The only thing that has occurred is that there is Renaissance wax stuck in the grooves. No finish needs to be removed with something as caustic as Easy Off.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I must say, Easy Off is a poor recommendation in this instance. If you look closely, the finish is intact. The only thing that has occurred is that there is Renaissance wax stuck in the grooves. No finish needs to be removed with something as caustic as Easy Off.
If Easy Off didn’t work to remove the hardest baked on carbon imaginable, women would not buy it.

I learned to use Easy Off from an old gunsmith who used his wife’s can to loosen up varnish on old gun stocks.

Miraculous stuff,,,but it’s poisonous.

It’s a miracle the do gooders still allow it to be sold.

They must fear their mothers and wives, if they outlawed it.:)

Reactions: Beowoulf