PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ive been to Red Square, but didn’t take a piss there.

As for traveling, I got plenty of that done over the years (Army brat, military service, and for business) & am quite content now to kick back here on the homestead, in farm country.

Mac
Love the story about why Saint Basils cathedral stayed. It pretty much amounts to its awesomeness out weighing their ideology (and man those guys were a bit extreme about making shows about their ideology). Yeah it's testament to how nifty, cool, just plain awesome that cathedral is.

Reactions: 5star

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I don't suppose that any of the places I'd like to enter into are unusual: Rural Ireland, coastal Norway or Iceland, alpine Switzerland, etc.
But if I could visit only one place -- even though it doesn't scratch the above sorts of itches in a way that most people would understand -- it would be Jerusalem. I will sojourn there, one day.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Just like many americans seem to think Europe is a destination, so many europeans think America is one. I'd like to see America, but that would take years and I know I can never do that.
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.
If you are ever able to come to America you have to visit southern Oregon. I've lived here for the past half decade and it's one of the most beautiful places under heaven. I live less than an hour from towering redwoods, old-growth untarnished by the touch of man, the cleanest rivers in the lower-48, and the ocean. This is also one of the most bio-diverse regions on the entire planet. It's incredible!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you are ever able to come to America you have to visit southern Oregon. I've lived here for the past half decade and it's one of the most beautiful places under heaven. I live less than an hour from towering redwoods, old-growth untarnished by the touch of man, the cleanest rivers in the lower-48, and the ocean. This is also one of the most bio-diverse regions on the entire planet. It's incredible!
I'll be moving to Ashland next year. I'm looking forward to exploring the environs after I get settled in, unless I pick up another show.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
They have the Penis Museum there.

Someone's gotta have one...

To be fair there’s only one and it’s in Reykjavik. The rest of the country is penis-free, or so I’ve been told.

The museum itself ranges from the macabre to the tedious, with various animal peckers harvested and displayed in formaldehyde. Luckily they have decent beer on tap. Without a frosty beverage the boredom would be unbearable.

It says much about the tourist attractions of Reykjavik that the penis museum is almost always the first thing mentioned. And often the last as well. The countryside is another matter however, and entirely justifies visiting the country.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'll be moving to Ashland next year. I'm looking forward to exploring the environs after I get settled in, unless I pick up another show.
No way! I'm out in the Illinois Valley which is about an hour and a half west of there. I just went to Ashland with my family for vacation a few months ago and had a fantastic time. The dense forests of the western coastline give way to more expansive grasslands out there and if you go even further east you start to get into high desert. Congratulations on the move!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is one of the best there is. When I was working the Old Globe in San Diego many actors and directors worked both. Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: SBC and jguss

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is one of the best there is.

I couldn’t agree more. My first of many visits was 50 years ago last summer and I’ve never forgotten the productions I saw then. Uncle Vanya, and Troilus and His Broad Cressida were particularly fine.

Reactions: edger and SBC

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have the service records of my paternal Great Grandfather, who at age 19 on July 4, 1864 joined the 12th United States Missouri Volunteer Cavalry at Warrensburg Missouri, and was assigned to the rear guard black horse troop, Company M, no doubt with a lot of other strapping young Campbelitte boys born to the saddle.

Before my trophies at last I lay down, I want to travel to where he got his orders to advance, towards Indians thicker than fiddlers in hell, five miles Northeast of modern day Broadus Montana.

I’ll bet he was wishing he’d stayed home, on September 8, 1865.

He lived to November 1920 and died of strokes brought on by the 1918 Spanish flu that killed my great grandmother.
—-

The warriors attacked Ballance's small party, and Private William P. Long of Company E was killed and Corporal John Price of Company G was wounded. Lieutenant Ballance sent one of his men back to Walker, who was now viewing the action unfold from a butte a mile to the rear. Walker sent a courier back to inform Colonel Cole of the attack. At the time, Cole was about two miles behind Walker, overseeing the crossing of his wagon train over the Powder River. In his words, Cole ordered the train, "out of the timber and corralled", and the 12th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry "to skirmish through the woods along the river bank to drive out a body of Indians who were posted in the woods". A German immigrant, First Lieutenant Charles H. Springer, of Company B, 12th Missouri Cavalry, said that this took place at about 1:00 p.m. Springer, who was with the 12th Missouri clearing out the woods, described the seen in front of the command: "The whole bottom and hills in advance were covered full of Indians, or to use a soldiers expression, they were thicker than fiddlers in hell". The 12th Missouri, 15th Kansas, 16th Kansas, and one battalion of the 2nd Missouri Light Artillery along with both artillery sections advanced simultaneously toward the warriors. The cannon were unlimbered and began firing at Indians gathered in some woods located in a bend of the Powder River. George Bent, a Cheyenne participant, said that the soldiers formed in a square around their wagons, and that Roman Noseperformed several bravery rides along the front of the soldiers' skirmish line before his white pony was shot and killed, throwing him to the ground. Lieutenant Springer of the 12th Missouri mentioned the same incident in his diary, stating that an Indian had been making gestures in front of his line before a volley brought down his horse and made him "bite the dust". Bent said that Black Whetstone, an elderly Cheyenne man, was killed by one of the soldier's artillery shells during the battle, while smoking a pipe behind a hill.

—-

The Christian lives by the motto

non ministrari sed ministrare

Well done, faithful servant.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SBC

bedolaga

Lurker
Dec 23, 2022
And I would like to visit Branson again. It's an excellent place for a family vacation in Missouri. Along 76 Boulevard there are many theaters that once hosted some of the country's most famous musicians and are now a hub for a variety of entertainment. For more information on entertainment, check out, which describes in more detail all the benefits, enjoyment and kind of vacation you can expect.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Domestic---
Hovenweep National Monument, for photography.
Zion National Park to wade in the river.
Channel Islands National Park
Fly a Super Cub the entire length of the Aleutian chain.

Overseas----
Cruise Lake Tanganyika on the old German Cruiser turned Ferry
Overnight on the deck of an Arab Dhow en route to Madagascar.
Ski the Haute Route in Switzerland
Tour Etchmiadzin
Walk the Camino Compostela Santiago in northern Spain

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
One of my pending trips is California and driving on the Pacific Highway to Oregon or maybe Seattle.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
right at this moment you can come to Argentina for a very fair price. Get to know the Perito Moreno glacier, walk on it. Go through the jungle to the Garganta del Diablo in the Iguazú falls. Get to know the southernmost city in the world, Ushuaia. Or climb the highest mountain in America and the entire Western Hemisphere, Aconcagua.

• Love

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
In Argentina I would really like to visit the Isla de Los Estados, but there are 2 ways to get there. In your own sailboat, through a very rough sea or in an Argentine Navy transport and I neither have a sailboat nor do I belong to the Navy.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
And I would like to visit Branson again. It's an excellent place for a family vacation in Missouri. Along 76 Boulevard there are many theaters that once hosted some of the country's most famous musicians and are now a hub for a variety of entertainment. For more information on entertainment, check out, which describes in more detail all the benefits, enjoyment and kind of vacation you can expect.
The saying goes "you won't go to bed without learning something new". I just watched several videos about Branson. It looks like an amazing place to spend a family vacation and until today he hadn't even heard the name of the city. Now I want to go. Thank you

Reactions: anotherbob