PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And I would like to visit Branson again. It's an excellent place for a family vacation in Missouri. Along 76 Boulevard there are many theaters that once hosted some of the country's most famous musicians and are now a hub for a variety of entertainment. For more information on entertainment, check out, which describes in more detail all the benefits, enjoyment and kind of vacation you can expect.
Never been but it's an interesting place. And not what you'd expect in missouri or at least that part of it. It feels like the people of the city willed culture to be there. And at the same time it sounds unpretentious as well, which is a rare combo these days or frankly any other days too.

Jan 27, 2020
I caught this interesting BBC article the other day about Bhutan. I forgot that was even a country. Anyways, the more I read about it the more it seems like heaven on earth but I don't think it's an easy place to travel to (need to hire a guide for the whole time you are there) and that is probably why has retained some Shangri-la type quality.

Jan 27, 2020
I've always really wanted to visit Russia, but now I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Ever since I saw a National Geographic as a kid about the souks of Damascus I wanted to go to Syria but well... anyways, not like people being unable to travel to such places to have a holiday is any tragedy in the scheme of things and while a secondary concern way under human suffering, it's sad that war not only destroys people but cultural sites as well.

Reactions: sjohnston0311

Flopoz

Lurker
Feb 6, 2023
I have the service records of my paternal Great Grandfather, who at age 19 on July 4, 1864 joined the 12th United States Missouri Volunteer Cavalry at Warrensburg Missouri, and was assigned to the rear guard black horse troop, Company M, no doubt with a lot of other strapping young Campbelitte boys born to the saddle.

Before my trophies at last I lay down, I want to travel to where he got his orders to advance, towards Indians thicker than fiddlers in hell, five miles Northeast of modern day Broadus Montana.

I’ll bet he was wishing he’d stayed home, on September 8, 1865.

He lived to November 1920 and died of strokes brought on by the 1918 Spanish flu that killed my great grandmother.
—-

The warriors attacked Ballance's small party, and Private William P. Long of Company E was killed and Corporal John Price of Company G was wounded. Lieutenant Ballance sent one of his men back to Walker, who was now viewing the action unfold from a butte a mile to the rear. Walker sent a courier back to inform Colonel Cole of the attack. At the time, Cole was about two miles behind Walker, overseeing the crossing of his wagon train over the Powder River. In his words, Cole ordered the train, "out of the timber and corralled", and the 12th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry "to skirmish through the woods along the river bank to drive out a body of Indians who were posted in the woods". A German immigrant, First Lieutenant Charles H. Springer, of Company B, 12th Missouri Cavalry, said that this took place at about 1:00 p.m. Springer, who was with the 12th Missouri clearing out the woods, described the seen in front of the command: "The whole bottom and hills in advance were covered full of Indians, or to use a soldiers expression, they were thicker than fiddlers in hell". The 12th Missouri, 15th Kansas, 16th Kansas, and one battalion of the 2nd Missouri Light Artillery along with both artillery sections advanced simultaneously toward the warriors. The cannon were unlimbered and began firing at Indians gathered in some woods located in a bend of the Powder River. George Bent, a Cheyenne participant, said that the soldiers formed in a square around their wagons, and that Roman Noseperformed several bravery rides along the front of the soldiers' skirmish line before his white pony was shot and killed, throwing him to the ground. Lieutenant Springer of the 12th Missouri mentioned the same incident in his diary, stating that an Indian had been making gestures in front of his line before a volley brought down his horse and made him "bite the dust". Bent said that Black Whetstone, an elderly Cheyenne man, was killed by one of the soldier's artillery shells during the battle, while smoking a pipe behind a hill.

—-
Personally, I travel to broaden my experience in the design industry. Foreign coworkers have so much to learn, so it's a good thing I purchased my tickets from this website https://voyagu.com/destinations/business-class-flights-to-middle-east-qatar/ . I can travel for less money and meet interesting people because of it.
The Christian lives by the motto

non ministrari sed ministrare

Well done, faithful servant.
Very inspiring story indeed =)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For people who want a travel adventure but don't want to struggle with second languages and the high price of long overseas flights, the Midwest in the U.S., which is really in the central part of the country, makes for a lot of good exploring. My late wife and I did a car-camping tour and found great sights and moderately priced supper clubs, and no dismal crowds, in Michigan, especially the Upper Peninsula, and Wisconsin with its fish boils in Door County, and a great boat trip across Lake Michigan, and toured a de-activated Iron Mine. It was a whole world, no passport required. A great expedition doesn't require big money, just good planning.

We got to one place in the early evening while it was still light, went to a supper club and had our fill of great food and wine, came out to set up camp with pretty much of a buzz for both of us. I was amazed at how well we had set up camp. I expected it to be all slapdash and half-assed, but we'd had a lot of practice.

• Love
Reactions: fMf Piper and SBC
F

fMf Piper

The first two are wonderful, especially Ireland. Vietnam. What a great choice. That one will have you talking for years to come.
So glad to hear that. If I had to put them in order, Vietnam would be number one. Then Ireland, and Britain would be third.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
So glad to hear that. If I had to put them in order, Vietnam would be number one. Then Ireland, and Britain would be third.
I have a close friend from the military who dated a flight attendant, and they got discounted or free flights wherever they wanted to go. He's been all over the world and said that his absolute favorite country he's ever visited was Vietnam. Great food, inexpensive, beautiful scenery, and the people were all very nice.

• Love
Reactions: fMf Piper

Masson

Lurker
Mar 8, 2023
My dream is still to visit Berlin some day. it is good and proud city in my opinion