PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
In NYC, there are people who never goes outside of their block. I believe I blew their mind with my travel experience. But Moscow is only place I really wanna visit. Want to take piss in the Red Square.
Ive been to Red Square, but didn’t take a piss there.

As for traveling, I got plenty of that done over the years (Army brat, military service, and for business) & am quite content now to kick back here on the homestead, in farm country.

Mac

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
P.S. - also travel can be such a time consuming hassle today. Oh for the good ole days when I ran from one end of O’Hara in Chicago to the other to catch a connecting flight. Ran panting to the door of the jet & was let aboard minutes before it left the terminal.
Perhaps I’d want to travel again if it was like that now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard that Iceland is a pretty good destination. Greenland however is even more arctic and not quite as hospitable, unless you are attuned to what's there (as with most places).

Except for the prices, I'd like to visit some of the grand old hotels in the U.S., the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island for a few nights, or Hotel Coronado on Coronado Island off San Diego. My wife and I had breakfast at the Carlyle in New York City and it was pretty fine, expensive but worth the visit.

My late wife and I went to the Jefferson Hotel in Richmond, Va., for an overnight and had Sunday brunch just off its vast lobby atrium with a fountain and potted trees, a place with a lot of history and atmosphere.

The Grove Park Inn in Asheville in the mountains is memorable, where F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda were guests -- mostly Scott while she was hospitalized for her mental troubles.

It was fun staying in the New York Arts Club at Gramercy Park in NYC, not a snazzy hotel, but an interesting place to spend the night, like sleeping in a museum.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I would like to go to Vietnam. I’ve always been fascinated with the Vietnam war. Also New Zealand to see the lord of the rings sets. I don’t see myself going to either because the stress of travel takes way too much out of me.

Reactions: DrTeeth

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
I would like to go to Vietnam. I’ve always been fascinated with the Vietnam war. Also New Zealand to see the lord of the rings sets. I don’t see myself going to either because the stress of travel takes way too much out of me.
I loved Vietnam. I stayed in Hanoi and other destinations north. Loved the vibe, the people, the food, the nature. Incredible place.

I, too, am a history buff re: the war. I’ve read dozens and dozens (maybe a hundred) books of first-hand accounts. When we were there, we visited Maison Centrale and Ho Chi Minh’s tomb. I had no idea he was embalmed. It was quite shocking to see his body.

Reactions: kcghost and Kobold

bedolaga

Lurker
Dec 23, 2022
And I would like to visit Branson again. It's a great place for a family vacation in Missouri. Along 76 Boulevard there are many theaters that once hosted some of the country's most famous musicians and are now a center for a variety of entertainment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just like many americans seem to think Europe is a destination, so many europeans think America is one. I'd like to see America, but that would take years and I know I can never do that.
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.
Oh man, Cajun and Creole cooking is some of the best you will ever find in the US. I spent a couple of weeks in New Orleans while attending SIGGRAPH in 1996 and I had one fabulous meal after another. We hit the well known establishments, but after I stayed on to photograph the city's unique architecture I tried some of the restaurants that were local favorites. All of it was great.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Just like many americans seem to think Europe is a destination, so many europeans think America is one. I'd like to see America, but that would take years and I know I can never do that.
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.You’d be amazed at home many people I’ve met who came to New Orleans for a visit &
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.
You’d be surprised at how many people I’ve met that came to New Orleans to visit & ended up staying here. As a damn yankee(or as I prefer to be called, invasive species) it’s easy to fall in love with everything here. There aren’t any mountains or a lot of hiking trails, at least in the southern part of the state. But there’s the food, the music, fishing, hunting, & most of all, the people. If you get in with the Cajuns or Creoles you’ll never go hungry again.

Reactions: workman

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it's been so long since I've traveled anywhere. I would enjoy visiting a shit hole for a change of scenery. That small town near you that has one store/gas station would be nice. Actually finding out I could walk to a tiny little town out in the woods like that here felt like a real wonder to me.
The places I wouldn't want to go would be North Korea (sure it be interesting and love to see it) but I don't want to put money and support into that country. And yeah I know that me visiting would be a drop in the bucket and wouldn't make a difference. It doesn't sit right with me. Now if you really want to go and it's on your bucket list I am not going to judge you, if you think it's funny to go there and you have a haha crap attitude about it the I'll judge you for it. And Dubai just holds zero interest to me. Maybe I don't know the place, but if I am honest my least favorite group of people are the terminally wealthy (yeah sure I've meet a few that are great people, but most of the ones I've run across have not been my kind of people at all). And everything I've seen of Dubai feels like a city sized mall for them. Example how much food do they sell that is for the nouveau riche? Like gold leaf and caviar on a pizza? You know just the only place I've seen a travel show and thought who cares I would only take free tickets there from a rich hot lady who only got one hotel room for us.... Otherwise keep it, I can stay home. Again could be totally wrong. Maybe it's a great place and I would love being there. But it makes America look old and historical too with a deep well of culture (we're a young country, that's all).

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Travel isn't for everyone. But for those who it is a joy, what a beautiful and wonderful tapestry it paints. I have had the joy to know every corner of a small forest that had a creek running through it. I spent years getting to know its seasonal changes and how it seemed so wondrous at all times during the year. I have also had the joy of exploring a fifth of our world's countries and I can say the same thing about those travels. The difference was that in my time spent in the forest, I was unusually large in how I felt about myself. In my travels around the globe, I become insignificantly small. Both experiences are beneficial and in their own way, equally expansive.