PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I’ve also seen liver issues stated as one of the preexisting conditions that exasperate the virus. The liver is remarkable at healing itself, even after a week of no drinking. Just curious if any of you who cut back on smoking also cut back on the booze for the same reasons.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I smoke 2 bowls per week on average. I feel ok continuing this cadence. I am relatively young (47) in good shape, with the occasional pipe my one vice. But now that I am working at home, I am taking many of my lunch breaks to go for a run... so now I am going for a run 4-5 days a week compared to 2-3 prior, along with strength training several times per week. So in that respect, I think I have increased my overall fitness level since being home-bound. Similarly, I am getting an extra hour of sleep now that my office is right down the hall from my bedroom! When I began smoking a pipe last October, I vowed no more than 3 per week. I have been disciplined in staying with that, and don't feel I am compromising my health much by continuing along that path.

stay healthy. Cheers

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
oh-god.jpg
Well, George Burns and Yahweh ARE both Jewish.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
So, anyway... the only question is *how much* it will help you to quit the pipe right now weighed against enjoyment factor, life disruption, etc.. The answer would vary greatly depending on the level of your habit.

I am not smoking, but had I not already been on a break I would likely not have quit.

I took the decision yesterday to press pause. It won’t be a big climb down because I did not smoke much the last couple of months due to weather.

I don’t know how long I will pause, so it may be several days, weeks, etc... one day at a time. I look forward to the day when we see this virus in the rear view mirror.

In the meantime the last two bowls I smoked were Old Dark Fired and Luxury Bullseye Flake... very good memories to have as I look forward to picking up my pipes again. Also have a tour of Germaine’s blends to do once I am at it again.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I’ve also seen liver issues stated as one of the preexisting conditions that exasperate the virus. The liver is remarkable at healing itself, even after a week of no drinking. Just curious if any of you who cut back on smoking also cut back on the booze for the same reasons.

I quit drinking alcohol 19 years ago. I had an allergic reaction to it. Every time I drank alcohol I broke out in handcuffs.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
If you can't put it down in the middle of a upper respiratory pandemic, you're addicted brotha. Or maybe suicidal?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m going to have four new pipes and five or six new blends to try once I start smoking again. I’ll either start after I recover from having the virus, or when the first wave has passed and we are mostly back to normal.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
FYI - it's reports like this that have influenced me to be a bit conservative. I figure every little bit can only help.

Just like the photos on tobacco products, they will shew you the worst scenarios and present them to you as the normal. Specially the CNN/CBC/BBC: the Xinghua of North America.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Just like the photos on tobacco products, they will shew you the worst scenarios and present them to you as the normal. Specially the CNN/CBC/BBC: the Xinghua of North America.

True. To be fair this is only one case and could be argued that this is too limited.

To compensate for this, I have try to read widely and in the end, I am not interested in the specific outcome in this case or other cases, but the fundamental components at play - specifically respiratory irritation and inflammation, particularly as it relates to my own second hand smoke and what might face if I were to fall ill due to COVID-19. This and other articles influenced me to press pause as I saw more upside in my personal context and condition to do so, rather than not. Many will make the personal choice to do differently and I can see why they would go with that option.