PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked everyday, and if I still smoked I don't think I would have ever taken taken up this question, as I am now, or was when I quit.

But 2 or 3 years into smoking this is just he kind of concern I would have had, and posted. I remember that I wanted to know everything about pipe smoking, and to that end tried to establish relationships between variables that had none, like the thicker the walls the more heat contained in the chamber and the higher the temperature of the burn.

The seniors on the board would say, "No, no." And then I'd go onto posing the next non-existent relationship.

I loved the pipe and was obsessed with it.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
If you start to develop any respiratory symptoms (i.e. increased mucus development, SOB, cough, chest pressures/pain, etc.) then put down the pipe and seek medical advise. They will tell you to stop smoking altogether.
Further, deciding what to do with your pipes and blends during these strange times is a personal decision. I get the idea of “ fighting from a stronger position “ 99.99% of us will be here after the storm, and your blends will have developed some more age to them!☕️?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Diet. Boosting your intake of fresh cruciferous vegetables would be a good start. Exercise and to STOP BEING AFRAID is an even better way to continue.
true. Not eating vegies is about the same health and disease risk as smoking a few packs of cigs a day. So if you smoke a pipe and eat vegies regularly you're healthier in general then a non smoker who only eats meat and carbs.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
This makes a lot of sense! well written. The only caveat is that I was thinking of what can I do to strengthen my immune system and does smoking have an impact or not.
Studies show that eating a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables, lean white meats (abstain from red meats), stay hydrated with plenty of water, alcohol in moderation, abstain from tobacco (I am referring to inhaling the smoke and no cigarettes ever! The topic gets very complex but, premium tobaccos are free from chemical additives and you don't inhale it anyway which minimizes risks to trivial levels), exercise and incorporate moderate strength training, sleep at least 6 hours but 8 would be better, spend time in nature, and reduce stress (meditate, yoga, read, etc.). As far as this corona virus issue, isolate as much as possible and don't let it get in your head.........implement the obvious steps to reduce exposure and then let the universe or God or (list personal faith here) have the rest. Diet and exercise are literally the most important, most widely neglected, practices to improve overall health and supercharge the immune system.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
I will be taking a break from the pipe during this time. I think ignoring the fact that this attacks the lungs and smoke is bad enough for them without a deadly respiratory virus. I advise those of you that care about your health to do the same
As long as you don't inhale the smoke, you are introducing more toxins to your body by drinking tap water than puffing on a pipe. But, I respect your opinion and as long as it brings you peace of mind then do it.

Reactions: Bowie and jpmcwjr

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
As long as you don't inhale the smoke, you are introducing more toxins to your body by drinking tap water than puffing on a pipe.

As they say on the internet, that’s big if true.

If you have a spreadsheet of experimental tallies of the micrograms of absorption of all the different molecules a pipe smoker gets, in tissues and bloodstream, I’d love to see it. Hell, same for tap water. This sounds like so large a project I can’t imagine it ever being done with any rigor.

If you don’t have these results, what’s the basis for the claim?

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Don’t know if you’re kidding or not. I’m also on a motorcycling forum, and when there’s ice on the road I hang up the helmet.
Except your example would actually prevent you from having an accident. If you only now decide to abstain from the pipe, it's too late to improve your survivability in the event you become infected. If you quit now and never smoked the pipe again, you would see the improvements in about 4-7 years.

Reactions: Bowie

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
As they say on the internet, that’s big if true.

If you have a spreadsheet of experimental tallies of the micrograms of absorption of all the different molecules a pipe smoker gets, in tissues and bloodstream, I’d love to see it. Hell, same for tap water. This sounds like so large a project I can’t imagine it ever being done with any rigor.

If you don’t have these results, what’s the basis for the claim?
Really? Heck just the studies on fluoride and chlorine alone should suffice.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
As long as you don't inhale the smoke, you are introducing more toxins to your body by drinking tap water than puffing on a pipe. But, I respect your opinion and as long as it brings you peace of mind then do it.
I don't know what water you are drinkin', but I highly doubt that it has the amount of carcinogens as a pipeful of tobacco. Just sayin