PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Not wanting to touch a nerve in this community, but rather share some thoughts and links that I have looked at in trying to make an informed decision (or as much as possible) about how much I will smoke my pipe during this crisis.

I don’t inhale and I am healthy. I am reasonably fit with no major illnesses. I also don’t smoke every day due to schedule, weather, etc. However being stuck at home more than usual, I would usually smoke more... not just daily, but more than one bowl a day resulting in 10-12 bowls in a week. . At least this is what usually happens when I am home for a holiday! :)

The trouble I have found is that articles I have found seem to be focused on cigarette smokers and vapors. But generally it seems that the concern is that even if you don’t inhale, it is believed that smoking in general might reduced immunity, which then I would guess would give your body increased vulnerabilities in fighting off bugs in general and of course COVID-19. Also breathing your own after smoke could create increased respiratory irritation, possibly amplifying the effects of a COVID-19 Infection. Nothing definitive, but it makes some level of sense.

For now, I have decided to practice moderation and even though I am stuck at home, I am not going to substantially increase what I smoke. For me this will probably mean two to three bowls a week max. This is not hard because when I am busy I frequently smoke this amount or even less.

Here’s a few links. I would welcome any info you have access to or thoughts on the subject.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Do what you feel comfortable with and don't get caught up in all the hype. I'm 73 yrs old, have COPD and smoke on average 8 to 10 bowls a day. I even smoke a few cigarettes a day, mostly after I eat. I also use dip about 3 times a day. I've done this for many years and feel fine. It works for me and keeps me from losing my mind during these trying times. I'm not saying that you have to use tobacco products like I do, just do what you personally feel is right for you. After all, pipe smoking is about what you like and not what everyone else likes.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Studies coming out of Italy are showing men in their 40s that have high blood pressure and are on ACE Inhibitors (Lisinopril) are having the worst outcomes and are not coming off of ventilators. I am in this demographic and work in the Fire Service so sheltering in place is not an option. I have decided today to stop smoking for a few months until this pandemic passes. Spanish Flu killed 50 million people in 1918. Better to be safe than sorry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
‘Merica!
And where might you be? I am sure there are similar expressions wherever that may be.
You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
And where might you be? I am sure there are similar expressions wherever that may be.
You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.
USA

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm working from home now and limiting my contact with others. I'm continuing to enjoy my pipe. If I get the virus and die, I'm sure I'll be glad I enjoyed these pipes since they bring me peace and joy. (Plus I'm sure the tobacco in heaven will blow away anything we have down here.) Only you can weigh your risks. If I were in smokeywebs shoes, I'm sure I'd make the same choice as him.

Pandemics don't impact introverts as much as extroverts. I'm in my sweet spot while my wife (the ultimate extrovert) is climbing the walls! She's just glad I'm at home.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
There is only one precautionary measure that will increase the probability of avoiding this virus...........isolation. Nothing we implement now is going to decrease your response to the virus if infected, with caveats. Generally speaking, you are either presently healthy or you are already high risk for severe complications from corona virus. The issue with this virus isn't that it is some crazy zombie killer apocalyptic disease, it's that since it's a novel virus we don't have the benefit of 1000's of years of inherited immunity to it like influenza. An individuals response to this virus depends on their immune health and it's ability to react appropriately. If your immune system is already burdened with heart disease, respiratory issues, obesity, diabetes, etc., then it has a high probability of either reacting inadequately to defeat it, or over reacting out of panic (for lack of a better word) like causing a cytokine storm. If you go out: don't get closer than 6' from people, wear gloves (simply because it will help you remember to stop touching your face), use hand sanitizers and wash your hands frequently, and sanitize surfaces upon returning home. Other than that, it's a coin toss. Just my 2 pennies but smoke 'em if you got 'em.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If you're reading the antis' BS you're not being informed: you're being indoctrinated through fear. The corrupt WHO hasn't lost a beat in their jihad against tobacco: they've duly listed smoking as a risk factor, of course. Why isn't that surprising?

I'd be more concerned about being mindful where you stick your pipe and what surfaces it comes into contact with, specially the mouthpiece, than about the smoke itself.

Yes, smoke is an irritant and that can complicate things in general—for some, not everyone. Who knows, it might be that tobacco smoke provides a barrier against infection, maybe the virus don't like it either. Now, don't go quoting me on this last speculation; but, if self-isolation is your goal, smoking will keep anyone who hates tobacco well away from you.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My understanding is that most die from result of acute respiratory distress syndrome. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but my father passed away due to it. He hasn't smoked over decades before the death. ARDS, from what his doctors told me, is due to body's immune system going into overdrive and basically hardening the tissues in the lung. Once it sets in, it's very hard to come back out of. They have no specific idea what triggers it or how to prevent it. Much less how to cure it. Ventilator is not a cure. Doctors can only provide support and see if patient comes out of it. So, smoking doesn't really make difference other than your lung might not be as good as none smoker. He went in due to appendicitis.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not wanting to touch a nerve in this community, but rather share some thoughts and links that I have looked at in trying to make an informed decision (or as much as possible) about how much I will smoke my pipe during this crisis.

The trouble I have found is that articles I have found seem to be focused on cigarette smokers and vapors.
Well when I got that horrid flu that might be coronavirus (I think it was but not able to prove it at this point, not sure even if the tests can tell if you have had it or just if you currently have it) that I did not smoke my pipe for almost two weeks because even the tiniest bit of smoke going any where near my throat would cause me to feel much pain and even more shortness of breath. Like a retrohale would cause such pain in my throat and make breathing harder. Though honestly snuff helped tremendously and did the opposite. Helped me breath and clear out gunk.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and olkofri

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
There is only one precautionary measure that will increase the probability of avoiding this virus...........isolation. Nothing we implement now is going to decrease your response to the virus if infected, with caveats. Generally speaking, you are either presently healthy or you are already high risk for severe complications from corona virus. The issue with this virus isn't that it is some crazy zombie killer apocalyptic disease, it's that since it's a novel virus we don't have the benefit of 1000's of years of inherited immunity to it like influenza. An individuals response to this virus depends on their immune health and it's ability to react appropriately. If your immune system is already burdened with heart disease, respiratory issues, obesity, diabetes, etc., then it has a high probability of either reacting inadequately to defeat it, or over reacting out of panic (for lack of a better word) like causing a cytokine storm. If you go out: don't get closer than 6' from people, wear gloves (simply because it will help you remember to stop touching your face), use hand sanitizers and wash your hands frequently, and sanitize surfaces upon returning home. Other than that, it's a coin toss. Just my 2 pennies but smoke 'em if you got 'em.

This makes a lot of sense! well written. The only caveat is that I was thinking of what can I do to strengthen my immune system and does smoking have an impact or not.