PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's amazing work Al - great tips too. Can I ask, how'd you clean up the black spot (burn mark?) on the Charatan Special - the mark near the stem?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for the reply.
If in go out and get an ugly girlfriend and send her to you can you work that same kind of magic? We could be onto something here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Can I ask, how'd you clean up the black spot (burn mark?) on the Charatan Special - the mark near the stem?
That was just grime. All the pipes had a heavy coating of dirt, I guess from years of handling. It came off with a little alcohol on a cloth.
Thanks all, those were each interesting pipes. I may have to keep an eye out for a Autograph, that one really impressed me.
Sadly no such luck with women, save one. I am apparently very talented at offending ladies......
I'd love to know more about that no-name English billiard, it sure looks like it has some Charatan DNA in it.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Nice restoration work, Al. I think you are right about the billiard being a Charatan second. Back in the early 70's, I bought two Charaton seconds from a pipe shop on Cape Cod. The first one I bought is a tan sandblast in a shape Charatan calls "the Ton". On a second trip, I bought a black sandblast in a shape called "Gilpin" Both shapes are, as far as I know, unique to Charatan. The only markings on them are "made in" over "London England". I compared the lettering to six of the major English pipe brands. It matches the lettering on 1960's era Lane era Charatans. It also matches the lettering on a GBD from before the merger with Comoy, but that could be because they used the same source for their stamps.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Great work Al. Estella's are Autograph that didn"t make the cut, small flaws, they were rusticated and sold as Estella's, I have 8 of them and they are hefty, beautiful smokers. The old cajun

Status
Not open for further replies.