PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thought this might fit in with this subject- Had a nice talk with the guys from SEM in Chicago (they're the German company that makes ebonite). They have a two step polishing process to finish ebonite. After shaping and sanding is complete (only to 1000 grit), they have a brown compound used on the small wheel, followed by a yellow polishing compound on the larger softer wheel. After a couple of weeks, I've found that the brown compound doesn't leave a residue unlike some of the green and red compounds I've used before. The yellow compound seems to be a mix of a diamond and carnauba- It's cut my finishing time by 1/3...and the results are better and it works great on polishing briar...The only downside is the small wheel is 35 euros, the large is 40 euros, and the brown and yellow compounds are 40 euros apiece...I think it ran aound $210 with shipping...Another tip that might help- my main motor is a 1/2hp 1750 from an old pipe repair shop- I use a hand tightened chuck on the arbor so I can quickly change out sanding discs or buffing wheels...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is the Jestco arbor, about $15. I replaced the end nut with a wing-nut (trimmed down to not hit a pipe!) so I can change pads without tools.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like the Jestco arbors also,they're staight-no run out to speak of. I have two of them. I bought a cheaper one,with the same thread (1/2" X 20 TPI) as the Jestco to mount a Jacobs style chuck on.It had a lot of run out and caused a lot of vibration. Was some better after I shortened the threaded part but it will be replaced. The chuck is handy for a variety of drilling- sanding tasks and can be changed out quickly and easily to my buffing arbor. I'm looking for another motor to mount it to so I can use the other two strictly for buffing and waxing.

I also like Jestco's Red Rouge for stem work.

latest-projects-7-3-15-2015-07-03-002-800x582-600x436.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Allow me to recommend the use of a Variac (such as is shown below) with your buffer, as it allows you to control the speed. I purchased mine at an antique mall for $15.00, and it works wonderfully well.
You've got to be somewhat cautious with any speed controller as it basically only reduces the current to a motor. If used on a single phase motor you have the chance of burning out the motor over time. Bottom line... I simply don't trust the things and they are not meant or intended to be used with a buffing motor. I opted for a VFD with a three phase motor which also gives me the option of variable RPM without any risk to the motor while keeping the same torque. But, then again that is what they are designed for.

+++1 on using only loose sewn wheels for applying carnauba wax as sewn wheels can be a tad too aggressive for that procedure. Also, never apply too much wax to the wheel as very little is needed and a use only a very light touch. I keep one loose sewn wheel which has nothing on it for a final buff after applying the wax.
As for wheel rakes... a must have in my opinion for properly maintaining a buffing wheel.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I opted for a VFD..."
For the uninitiated, this is a variable frequency drive.
phil67:
Were I constantly using my bench-top grinder as a buffer, then I believe that your point might be valid; however, I have used it only occasionally as such (with the Variac) for more than five years with no problems. For those individuals concerned with costs, if you think that a Variac is expensive, then check the prices on VFDs and three-phase motors. To my way of thinking, that is strictly a professional-grade investment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Variac looks like a nice piece that won't harm a motor. They seem to be very popular with "growers" of another smoking weed for fan controls...

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I run the Shopfox 1681...it has 3 pulleys and I'm able to adjust my buffer speed up or down by changing the belt from one pulley to another...they can be purchased for around $100..I contaced an A/C repair company and purchased an old A/C 1/2 hp blower motor for $25...been working great for the last 3-4 years.
I only use white Diamond and carnauba on my briars, and brown tripoli on badly oxidized stems

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that Shop Fox looks awesome. $99 at Sears...hmmm, my birthday is in a few weeks...

http://www.sears.com/shop-fox-buffing-assembly/p-SPM7423835123?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
71ugdhd53OL._SL1500_.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Some really great info on buffing and buffers here guys. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm sorry but, every time this thread rises to the top I have to fight down the urge to comment. I'll just say that the title is one of the most intriguing I've seen and it's a wonder that the thread has stayed on topic for so long. I salute all of you, particularly those of you who have successfully stifled your first thoughts and remained on the intended topic. I am impressed and will admit to a bit of disappointment also.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Since you asked.
Words such as "Brazilian" and "Landing Strip" come to mind. Then, once one's mind has gone in that direction, the different connotations of "buffing", and what can be "buffed" come to mind. I hesitate to step off the sidewalk and put both feet into the gutter for fear of offending. Worse, would be certain other members jumping in and . . . there goes the thread. You must remember that even when we have nothing to contribute to a thread, one or ten of us will still chime in.
You guys have two pages and growing of a thread which has managed to stay on topic. Other than the "what are you smoking", "listening to" and others this is a rare occurrence. All of you are to be congratulated. Your discussion is either so boring to many of us or so esoteric that we hesitate to jump in.
Good on you!
On a serious note, as a woodworker in my spare time, this thread is of interest. Now that I've opened the door let's see if the thread can long survive. :)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
A must read on the use of buffing wheels for pipes is at rebornpipes. The Beall Wood-Buffing System is great as are their wheels, and as you’ll notice, only loose sewn wheels are used as opposed to concentric sewn wheels. Other than that, whatever motor system you use and can afford isn’t all that important as long as you keep the RPM in the 1700 to 2000 range.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks for the link Phil. That's a great article. Steve has a fantastic setup. I'll definitely be checking into the extensions. My set up can get a little tight, especially when working on Canadians.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just had a great experience at Jestco. I thought one of their "extra thick buffing pads" would be great. I didn't read the specs fully and it was too wide to fit onto my Jestco arbor. I emailed them, hoping to exchange that $18 pad for two, regular width, 6" pads. The owner (Claude Jester) emailed me tonight and said my two pads are on the way (and sent the USPS tracking). He said to mail the extra-wide buff back and include $5 to cover the difference. THAT is how you should run a small business. Nice.
http://jestcoproducts.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.