PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks Cosmic, I love this thread. I appreciate a nice watch as well, and would like to have a couple more. Though Id destroy watches regularly in my line of work.
Very nice gold nugget watch. It reminds me a lot of an old friend of mine who had a similar watch.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. I know this is not a wrist watch, but it's a time piece that is extra special to me, my Grandfather born in the 1880s, traded a horse for this Elgin Railroad watch, Doves on the cover, this was a huge trade in that Era, I really treasure this.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Amazing piece. Its lovely to see, and its made all the more special by its history. Thank you for sharing.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Nice Guess watch, Javan. Back in the day, I would never have "guessed" that Guess watches would have retained their value, but they are quite collectible. That's a handsome timepiece. And, nice SIZE. I have also been surprised at how large the faces have gotten.

I didn't get a watch at any of my marriages. Maybe that is why they ran out of time.
Thanks Michael, I wasn't aware of Guess Collection watches until I got one. Today I am wearing this Lloyd (have never heard of them either until I went to Korea). They are pretty popular in Korea, there are lots of Lloyd shops in Seoul. This one was gifted by my friends when I was a student studying in Seoul. It reminds me the times when we were really young and stupid enough to jump from the second floor of the dormitory to go to buy a beer at midnight. It got a snowflake-like crack a year ago on the left side of the glass, but still staying strong.
yQ8OfQk.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Repost due to photobucket sucking.

watch.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've had a lot of watches in my life and have worn one most of my adult life. I don't wear one around the house but if I go out I feel odd if I don't have one on. Love mechanical watches, but now I just wear quartz watches.
Here's the two I wear: The Swiss Army is my daily wear, and is on it's third band. It has all the features I like in a watch, not too big, thin and a sapphire crystal. Same for the two tone Movado, which is my "dress watch", although it's getting a little beat up too. Unless these two die I have no plans to buy another watch.

img_00542-600x424.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah Cosmic, it's a mystery to me too. It only says Swiss Army, no Victorinox, Wenger or any other name anywhere on the watch. I bought it used on eBay about 12 years ago just because I liked it's looks. Came with a brown leather band that just said Swiss Army on the buckle too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great stuff guys!
I had forgotten that I have my great-Grandfathers Waltham pocket watch, from the late teens, early 20's. It doesn't run and I missed a fine opportunity to repair it with the assistance of a retired watch-maker. My wife's Uncle was retired from his job as the watch repairman for the B&O Railroad. He had his own shop, tools and parts but was retired. I showed the watch to him at a family event and he told bring it over to his shop. He said his eyes and hands couldn't to the small work any more, but that he could talk me thru the repair. He said most likely it was minor and an easy fix. We ended up moving a short time later and the watch was not unpacked until a year or so after that time. And, you guessed it, he passed away in the interim. Opportunity lost.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
This one was gifted to me by my father when I graduated from college. It was one of his own watches:
jPejwXS.jpg

c7CDZSC.jpg

During one of his trips my dad also bought 2 identical watches, one for me and a smaller one for my wife:
RUGIaiE.jpg

lhp32hr.jpg

I rarely wear them.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Nice watches guys!

I've always worn a watch as long as I can remember. Currently, I wear an inexpensive Timex as my everyday work/beater watch (keeps great time and does "Take a licking, and keeps on ticking"), a Citizen for nicer occasions, and carry my grandfather's old "railroad" pocket watch for truly special occasions. For me, my watch is like a belt or my wallet, I do not leave home without one.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh my god how did I miss this thread!?
I have just recently acquired a serious addiction to all things watch related. I am on my third watch purchased in 3 months. But I have a slight excuse. Watches are REQUIRED on the railroad. :)
First I bought this cheap timex. Loved it, but the strap I didn't care for. So I spent just as much money on a new strap, as I payed for the whole watch. It's a leather Barton quick release band.
20171219_200528.jpg

Then I ordered a cheap G-shock. Told the wife I needed a waterproof watch for work.

Then I graduated the campus training for the railroad, and ordered a Citizen eco drive as a congrats gift to myself.
The citizen came in the mail yesterday, but I moved to the new house Sunday, so I have to wait for the wife to bring it to me Saturday...it's killing me.
I have been reading stories about watches, reading reviews about watches, reading about watch repair, looking at watches, thinking about watches...
Someone help me...
(Cosmic, I love that timex brother!)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wish there were more stories about guys who only had one watch, for decades. I'm all about having "one" of something decent and keeping it in good shape. Like someday, I WILL own a Rolex...someday...ahh...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh way ahead of you Al! I've spent the last month on that forum just reading...and looking, and drooling, and dreaming While in another tab of my browser, I'm on the edcforums section about watches...now reading about watches on Pipes magazine??? It's a curse...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought this Seiko 200mm Diver Quartz in 1994, for my 10th anniversary with my company (now 36 years). It's been to hell in back, now relegated to chores watch. It still keeps perfect time. I tried to find a new bezel for it, but its an oddball model and none could be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.