PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't wear a watch anymore. This is the last one I wore. It had a metal clasp band on it, but that broke while I was at the airport on my last trip home from the last job. Must have been a sign. This band was in the box, it was the original that came with the watch. Self winder, not a bad watch.
38181435234_1f41981540_k_d.jpg

One of my favorite watches of all time was a Timex self winder. It lasted a LONG time.
This watch was my great grandfather's. It hasn't run since I have had it. It looks good inside, but won't run.
25025440138_7c4b65d9fa_k_d.jpg

The rock in front of it is a gastrolith... a dinosaur gizzard stone. Everyone should have one of those. Time doesn't matter to it. It has looked like that for millions of years.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
I work from home in the educational technology field. I always where a traditional watch when I am out of the house. In my field if anyone wears a watch it is an Apple watch or something similar. I am very much the anomaly! I am surprised at the number of people that comment on my watch (I have a beautiful to me Movado) in large measure, I think, because it is so anomalous.
I really like watches and wish I owned more but I was built with small wrists which makes finding a watch that has a small enough face that's not feminine is difficult.
EDIT
I also have a pocket watch that belong to my great grandfather and was passed down to my grandfather, then my father and now to me and eventually to my son. When I figure out the picture thing I'll post pictures of both.

The Vintage watches as the discussed Timex Marlins were small by today's comparison. Actually, I think that the watches sold today look grossly oversized to my vintage eyeballs. Echambers, if you were to look for a watch, I might suggest checking out the estate market. Lots of great guys with skills keeping these old timepieces ticking smoothly.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I wear one every day. My grandmother bought it for me when I was in college and have only had to have it worked on once in over 20 years. It's a basic Seiko with metal band.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

watch_zpsee3ua8uw.jpg

I wear it face down/band up on my left wrist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Much prefer a watch to a phone as a timepiece. I carry an old flip phone turned off, for making calls. The idea of being perpetually available by phone creeps me out. There's some play on the word anachronistic here.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
One on my right wrist all the time. I even go to bed wearing it. I only take it off when I take a shower, or need to work with my Wacom tablet (I scratched the tablet with the watch once, ouch!), or some other rare instances.
Actually, I'm not wearing it now: it's drying as I washed it. :P

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Last time I wore a wrist watch at other than a formal party was reffing lacrosse, so about four years ago. Just don't care to wear a watch nor jewelry. Diff strokes and all.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in a panic without a wristwatch.
I have an old Seiko Pepsi quartz diver that I've had for over 25 years. It keeps perfect time, but it's a bit beat up, so it became my yard work, etc. watch.
I've had this Accutron Swiss-made Quartz chronograph, for the past 12 years, but its had problems on and off (Bulova replaced the movement when it was a year old). It recently quite running. A watch repairman I know can replace the movement for about $200, I'm mulling over that.

Last year, I bought this Borealis Seafarer II auto(micro brand diver) and love it. It's a big watch, with a very heavy bracelet. I put on deployment rubber strap for use in the summer, which was a lot lighter. The stainless bracelet is back on for winter, dress use only.

I needed another daily use watch and a quartz suited that need the best. I'm in restaurants daily, so beating up something pricey doesn't make sense. I snagged this Hamilton Khaki Chrono from the WatchYouSeek forums and really enjoy it so far. It had a plain leather strap, I added this rally style strap.

Ahh, the lousy luck of getting a bunk Quartz on the Accutron. That stinks.
Somewhere, I have a pretty dressy digital watch from 1980 that plays Space Invaders. I’ve got to dig through storage and find it. It would be great of I could get it running. It was another giift crom my dad. Every year, I got watches or gold rings for Christmas... the son of a ieweler. When I had rather have a new rod and reel, ha ha.
I have to keep time on my benchwork, so it has made me monitor how long everything takes me. I don’t know what you do in the restaurant business, but I imagine time is of the essence in every part of that business. I wonder how this new generation not wearing watches affects their work. My daughters wear watches, a student/ waitress and a cosmotology student. I bet there are still lots of jobs that you just cant be as successful at without a watch.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I used to love watches-- gotta few. Love old clocks-- gotta few of those, too. But, since I started "wearing" a cell phone years ago, I felt closed in and controlled by time keeping devices so I haven't worn a watch in years. The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. I think Thoreau said that.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
watch

0FfFoxg

I dug my watch out of the closet. It was gifted to me by my mother in law. It was her step-fathers 25 year gift for working at Shell Oil back in 1952. Seeing all these pieces made me think that Id like to wear mine to an upcoming Xmas party we are going to early next week.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
We all should work on wasting a bit more time, Cosmic. But, I still think the mechanical watch is a thing of beauty. If I had a pile of cash to waste I buy an old repeater pocket watch that chimes the hour.

Joseph, that’s a nice looking watch. I prefer the simple faces like that. While I appreciate those watches that have all of the bells and whistles, ultimately I just want to know what time it is. Sometimes, even the date dials seem a little too busy for me. But, that one has a nice “simple to read” look to it, classical.

Status
Not open for further replies.