PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I recently picked up a tin. It’s fantastic!! I didn’t notice any toppings. I will be buying more. It reminds me of HH Arcadian (my favorite,) but sweet and dry. If that makes sense.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I think it has a topping. We all know what raw untopped C&D tobaccos taste like, and this definitely has something on it. I'll try to review it if I can catch a break during this holiday. Let a little dry out completely then smoke it and see what you think.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Wow interesting! If there is no topping maybe my sniffer is broken :ROFLMAO:. I could swear though it almost smells like a boozy chocolate covered cherry.
I haven’t tried this one yet, but if there is no topping, my guess would be you’re probably tasting the Perique. It can be pretty fruity in some blends, so maybe that’s it? ?‍♂️
Sounds like I need to pick up a tin of this one. I like Kings Stride and Cloud Hopper.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I haven’t tried this one yet, but if there is no topping, my guess would be you’re probably tasting the Perique. It can be pretty fruity in some blends, so maybe that’s it? ?‍♂️
Sounds like I need to pick up a tin of this one. I like Kings Stride and Cloud Hopper.

It's really good and Until the End is a really good one also. If there is no topping (which sounds like the consensus) the blender is amazing to get that kind of tin note and flavor out of a straight tobacco blend.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I think it has a topping. We all know what raw untopped C&D tobaccos taste like, and this definitely has something on it. I'll try to review it if I can catch a break during this holiday. Let a little dry out completely then smoke it and see what you think.

Sounds good. I look forward to hearing it ?

Reactions: greeneyes

Tabacco

May 1, 2020
GA - USA
First time I smoke The Red Hunt. Not bad but it's definitely smells and tastes like a flavored tobacco. It leaves a ghost in the pipe like a flavored tobacco. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Does anyone have an idea on what topping they use on Warped The Red Hunt?
Rum, vanilla, maple syrup?

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
It's really good and Until the End is a really good one also. If there is no topping (which sounds like the consensus) the blender is amazing to get that kind of tin note and flavor out of a straight tobacco blend.
No, not a consensus.

TRH seems heavily topped to me also. It’s to the point that I won’t likely finish my tin. I’ve been airing it out in a jar. But I don’t think it’s going to settle down.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I haven't smoked any of this in a while but I do have quite a bit aging in the cellar. I'm trying to get through some of what I already have open before I open anything else. I do need to revisit some aged ?

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
After falling in love with Kings Stride I was a little disappointed in the Red Hunt. Just not to my tastes. I’m a newer pipe smoker but it seems to have a very heavy boozy topping to me.

I gave it a couple months rest, going to revisit it soon.

Reactions: Ebarber

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Ok just cracked my first tin of this.
It definitely has a chocolate cherry liqueur topping on it. It's unmistakable in the note and in the smoke.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There's another thread touching in this topic too.

I smoked a bowl from a friends tin when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Only had a very faint, "not atypical", basic sugar casing to it.
Bought some tins but never opened one.

Flash forward to this past Xmas - I was gifted a newer (2022) tin of it. I opened it and was surprised by how strong the tin note was. Not at all how I remembered it. I've smoked a couple bowls from the '22 tin and it tastes like it smells. I dunno about chocolate covered cherry, but there's SOMETHING heavier than a simple casing going on.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
There's another thread touching in this topic too.

I smoked a bowl from a friends tin when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Only had a very faint, "not atypical", basic sugar casing to it.
Bought some tins but never opened one.

Flash forward to this past Xmas - I was gifted a newer (2022) tin of it. I opened it and was surprised by how strong the tin note was. Not at all how I remembered it. I've smoked a couple bowls from the '22 tin and it tastes like it smells. I dunno about chocolate covered cherry, but there's SOMETHING heavier than a simple casing going on.
If I had to bet it's baileys chocolate cherry liqueur
It's very distinct.

They must have changed the recipe my tin was dated 12/22

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
And now I know why the smell and taste is very familiar.
It's almost like cults blood red moon but with alcohol

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Does anyone have an idea on what topping they use on Warped The Red Hunt?

In the tin it smells of chocolate covered cherries to me and I very faintly taste it in the smoke.

I'm not a huge fan of tobaccos with toppings but this is not bad.

I think it would be better without the topping though.
I smelled chocolate covered cherries in C&D John Marr and the description for that one says toppings of bourbon and vanilla. Perhaps there’s some common blending element, since they are both blended by Laudisi.

I have one tin of Red Hunt and will now be very tempted to crack it open to compare my experience with John Marr.