PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
@That Guy @chasingembers This wasn't meant as some kind of 'gotcha' for chasingembers or anyone else. I just meant that there are a lot of pipe smokers, from every part of the hobby who do not use the forums and that, as such, the forum activity around a particular product is not a good barometer for the majority opinion among pipe smokers, even that of those who are serious hobbyists.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
@That Guy @chasingembers This wasn't meant as some kind of 'gotcha' for chasingembers or anyone else. I just meant that there are a lot of pipe smokers, from every part of the hobby who do not use the forums and that, as such, the forum activity around a particular product is not a good barometer for the majority opinion among pipe smokers, even that of those who are serious hobbyists.
I'm highly offended and will never buy any of your products again! you hurt my feelings and I will have to barricade myself in my safe space for at least a week ?. We know what you were trying to say. Hell if it was up to me aromatics wouldn't even exist LOL ? please don't take my advice it will definitely get you in trouble. You definitely cannot please everyone all the time no matter what you do. You could give out $100 bills and someone would complain because it's not a brand new crisp one with the cool holograph on it lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This wasn't meant as some kind of 'gotcha' for chasingembers or anyone else.
Never assumed it was.?

I just meant that there are a lot of pipe smokers, from every part of the hobby who do not use the forums and that
Yep. Other than myself I personally know six other pipe smokers that use zero social media. My only reason for joining originally was to have discussions with a member at the time about restorations.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
KCywEE0.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It is easy to forget the forums represent a very thin Slice of the pipe smoking population pie. Go sit in a B&M for some time and you'll find the majority of the people coming in and out of the door have never heard of these on line forums. But they're the lifeblood of the industry.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I guess I'm living in a bubble because the only people I know that enjoy pipe smoking are the people on the forums. The Facebook pipe forums are pretty big too, I just assumed they drove alot of the sales especially among 30 or 40 something year olds.
Ditto. There's only one pipe shop that's 30 minutes away from where I live and when you go there it's always completely empty. They don't have pipe club meetings or nothing like that. All the local tobacco shops in my area are cigar and vape shops. Supposably there's a handful of people on the form that are close to my town but none really showed any interest in forming a pipe club so I have to get on here and irritate you guys LOL

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Pipe smokers have a few that like social gatherings but many prefer the solace of smoking alone. I work with five of them and rarely a word is spoken when pipes are lit.

Pipe smokers have a few that like social gatherings but many prefer the solace of smoking alone. I work with five of them and rarely a word is spoken when pipes are lit.
Would be nice just to see another pipe smoker in person to know they actually existed lol I swear in the 7 years I've picked up pipe smoking I've only seen one other person smoke a pipe ? and that was the owner of the pipe shop! Ive always smoked alone and it would be nice to interact alittle and swap tobaccos or just flat out give away a tin.

+ @That Guy The pipe lounge at The Briary is a little different. Some days you can set and smoke in peace and quiet. Then some days you set down and a young guy might start asking a billion questions. Then some days, the whole room is full of boisterous guys all holding court and solving the world's problems. It's hit or miss.

I do find that when I see another pipesmoker outside the mall, and I decide to smoke while Mrs Cosmic shops, it's nice to just set and smoke without talking. I try to respect the solitude of the smoker, as I would appreciate my own solitude respected. Pipes need to be kept clenched for me to fully enjoy smoking. So, I usually don't appreciate a ton of question and answers. I will listen, but don't expect me to talk a whole bunch. If I want to talk, I'll select a cigar. Those are way more social for me. I can smoke those and talk all day.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
+ @That Guy The pipe lounge at The Briary is a little different. Some days you can set and smoke in peace and quiet. Then some days you set down and a young guy might start asking a billion questions. Then some days, the whole room is full of boisterous guys all holding court and solving the world's problems. It's hit or miss.

I do find that when I see another pipesmoker outside the mall, and I decide to smoke while Mrs Cosmic shops, it's nice to just set and smoke without talking. I try to respect the solitude of the smoker, as I would appreciate my own solitude respected. Pipes need to be kept clenched for me to fully enjoy smoking. So, I usually don't appreciate a ton of question and answers. I will listen, but don't expect me to talk a whole bunch. If I want to talk, I'll select a cigar. Those are way more social for me. I can smoke those and talk all day.
Definitely. I'm not a chatty cathy lol lot of times when I go out with my golfing buddies and we play together there's little conversation we just enjoy not having to play absolutely alone also we're too busy smoking cigars and cussing out the bad shot we just hit LOL

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If pipe smoking was driven entirely by those smokers that posted regularly on public forums, pipe smoking would really be an endangered activity. Don't misunderstand me, pipe smoking is a very rare and niche past time, but pipe smokers who regularly post on forums such as this one are a unique subset, and certainly do not represent the majority of those who partake in the hobby. If every pipe tobacco producer and pipe maker were relying solely on the number of customers who post on forums, the industry simply could not exist.
1634392828221.png

• Haha
Reactions: jeremyreeves