PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Kevin, for goodness sake, assuage her concerns and put this rancorous thread to bed."

Just for clarity, neither I nor Pipelady have a black mark. I have asked that the ambiguity of the message be cleared up.

I'm sure Kevin is a very busy man but I'm sure when he has a moment he will sort things out.

By the way, I don't know who did get black marks, and I don't really care.

Regards,

Jay.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
The answer about publicly visible is in my reply to 3rdguy.

Regarding the discretionary aspect; two things.

1. Our mods have lots of experience, and they wouldn't be mods if I didn't trust their judgement.

2. The reason for this is because we don't live in a black and white world. There are grey areas, and that's where judgement calls come into play.
The public thing would backfire. When I was in college the cops set up a table with a breathalyzer during an Alcohol Awareness day on campus. If you blew in the breathalyzer they gave you a t-shirt that said, "I am aware of Alcohol." They quickly ran out of shirts (Mine has long since been worn out and discarded), and people were seeing who could blow the biggest number. Good Times.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
The public thing would backfire. When I was in college the cops set up a table with a breathalyzer during an Alcohol Awareness day on campus. If you blew in the breathalyzer they gave you a t-shirt that said, "I am aware of Alcohol." They quickly ran out of shirts (Mine has long since been worn out and discarded), and people were seeing who could blow the biggest number. Good Times.
The same thing is said to have happened in those bars which installed the short-lived fad of coin-operated breathalyzers. It soon became a source of contests for who could blow the highest blood-alcohol readings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was summoned by a mod one time who said he needed to take down my post. I puzzled over it for a long time before and after agreeing. I didn't want to ask because I didn't want to dispute, since the problem seemed pretty obscure. My never lacking verbosity, it didn't seem to matter. I try to edit myself. I say, you don't know a damned thing about that so just "like it" and let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.