PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
To echo what pauliescandinavian wrote: the warning labels are crazy here in Europe. I recently ordered what I thought was a tin of WO Larsen but a pouch arrived instead. I wrote a polite email to the seller to inquire about it and received the following reply (dose = tin):
Unfortunately the supplier of W.O Larsen changed the design of the dose, because of the security sticker

In front of the pouch/dose. There wasn’t enough space and so they decided to change into a pouch.​
As for the cleaning pipe discussion. I was doing a salt/alcohol clean on an sandblasted estate Peterson and some alcohol spilled over. Even though I immediately tried to wipe it off, it removed a good amount of the oxblood colour from the outside of the bowl. I'm shy to use alcohol on my pipes now. Alcohol also removed the colour from the Savinelli stamp on a stem when just a bit got onto the outside.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My solution was to keep all my old tins. Then if I want to see the tin art, I can swap lids.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It IS getting out of hand...
grape.jpg

I also emailed Captain Black to advise him that "excretion" was misspelled. He replied that his editing skills were not up to the task of redoing it.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hot water does not "flash oxidize" stems. It doesn't remove stain- unless the stain was total crap to begin with (and would have come off in your hands over time- and if it messes up a carnauba wax, there was too heavy a coating. As to removing beeswax from meers, that's a good thing. There's no reason at all to apply wax, unless you're a pipe seller wishing to keep the bowl from marks from dirty hands.

Try washing wax off with water, just try to intentionally do that, even bees wax. There is a reason surfers put wax on their boards and all of humanity uses wax as a water sealer. It resists water. But, I am pretty sure Duane just says this to get a rise out guys. As to the stem, flash oxidizing? Maybe if you are using boiling water or steam. But, then it’s the heat that is the issue.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Regarding warning labels on tins, I believe Sam Gawith have got around this by placing the offending sticker on a cardboard sleeve then placing the unblemished tin inside said sleeve.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...but I bet the zealots will find a clause that prohibits that here."
John I don't doubt what you say, but at least someone is well aware of the discontent and is willing to stand fast and act in favour of the smoker.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But, I am pretty sure Duane just says this to get a rise out guys.
Not at all. I've seen it happen during restorations.
Hot water does not "flash oxidize" stems.
Afraid it can.
As to removing beeswax from meers, that's a good thing.
Not really. It's applied to protect the meerschaum from scratches.
Try washing wax off with water, just try to intentionally do that, even bees wax.
I make mustache wax, and hot water will remove beeswax.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Love the Bengal Slices artwork. I have wondered aloud here if it were possible to have peel off warning labels. There'd be a small hit to manufacturing cost wise, but there may also be regs prohibiting peel off warning labels. Someone here must know....
The snus tins I still order on occasion for times I won’t be able to smoke all have sticky warning labels that just peel off.
Don’t see why pipe tobacco tins can’t do the same.
It’s literally a loosely adhered plastic warning sticker that peels off without damaging the underlying tin label and can be thrown away.

Jan 8, 2013
They could, mfg. wise, but regs may prevent that, and there'd be a hit on costs, though a modest one.
Labels are pretty cheap. Especially if you're able to print them out yourself. I've currently been looking at having half moon shaped stickers made to cover up the warning labels on tins and it's not that pricey. If a tobacco company wanted to charge a bit extra to cover the costs of their removable warning labels, I'd gladly pay the extra 25 cents or so it would probably cost them per tin purchase. It sucks that some of them are actually making it a part of their label, destroying the tin art as opposed to simply covering up the tin art with a label that could possibly be removed.

Jan 8, 2013
I make mustache wax, and hot water will remove beeswax.
I do the same. I make mustache wax and beard balms and beard waxes, all with beeswax being the main ingredient, especially for the stronger hold mustache waxes. Hot water removes it quite easily.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just noticed on a recently purchased Skoal can that the warning is actually painted on the tin along with the design. Luxury Flake purchased from 2014-2015 has the warning and label as one piece.
20180702_032800.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It sucks that some of them are actually making it a part of their label, destroying the tin art as opposed to simply covering up the tin art with a label that could possibly be removed."
Anthony, the companies that are placing separate warning labels atop the main label are only doing so as long as they are still using up old stock labels. Once these run out then the warning will become part of the label proper and not as a separate component.
As for removing warning labels, some are easier than others but which ever you are presented with it pays to remove it very slowly, starting on a corner and ever so gently peeling it back.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hope Dan or Russ or Greg or anyone pops in to clarify what the regs say.
AR- At volume, separate peelable labels would be a few cents more, but applying them would entail an additional step/cost.

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
Don't know the exact specifics of what the new regs allow, but it's a shame that manufacturers can't apply the warning label to a plastic shrink wrap cover instead of to the label art itself.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Get a load of the anti TV ads on smoking! One woman is so disfigured she looks like something out of a zombie movie!

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
My all-time favorite warning label was on a tin of Peterson's Irish Oak. I had stopped at the local B&M. They didn't sell much tinned tobacco and I could often find tins that where one to two years old. I turned the tin over and on the bottom was a sticker that said, "WARNING: This product contains tobacco."
I burst out laughing and said, "Well, I should certainly hope so!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.