PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
More and more tins with these charming warning labels keep showing up. How long will it be before tin art is a thing of the past?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tin art never really fascinated me, but it's also applied to bulk bags as well.
20180628_054653.jpg

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Soon when you open a tin, a shrieking skull and crossbones will come flying out just like in the old cartoons!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Soon when you open a tin, a shrieking skull and crossbones will come flying out just like in the old cartoons!
If they do that, I'll go broke! I'll be buying tins left and right just to open them to make that happen! :mrgreen:

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Yes i agree! Plus i would go broke buying jars, because i would be obsessed with opening every tin i have at once to create the Apocalypse effect. :twisted:

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Just take a peek at Australian cigarette's packaging and you'll be grateful for the pipe tobacco tin :mrgreen:

There is no grace in that cigarette's packaging

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Love the Bengal Slices artwork. I have wondered aloud here if it were possible to have peel off warning labels. There'd be a small hit to manufacturing cost wise, but there may also be regs prohibiting peel off warning labels. Someone here must know....
meersafter.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The companion image. It shows the pipes before a hot water flush. After, above this, you can see how it brings out the color, albeit temporarily.
meersbefore.jpg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Some packaging news today..
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-28/wto-tobacco-ruling-opens-door-to-new-plain-packaging-laws

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If the U.S. continues its hold, the body will be paralyzed by late 2019 because it will lack the three panelists required to sign off on rulings.

Wonder if this would be a good thing.
I use a sharp blade to remove those pesky labels, thus saving the tin art.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Absolutely. LINK to a too-long thread on it.
The practice is hardly universal. Some still buy the line put out by almost all tobacconists that their pipe cleaning fluids were best and water was bad, bad! They couldn't sell hot water, but the markups on alcohol with another ingredient or two were quite profitable.
Alcohol use on any wood is hardly recommended, but someone will post he's been using 151 rum for 50 years and all his pipes are fine.
For badly ghosted pipes, water often works as well as the old salt-everclear method, and is a lot faster.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hang on, you can rinse briar pipes in hot water ??
Do so at own risk. It can swirl carnuba, completely remove beeswax, and flash oxidize ebonite. And I have been using moonshine and Everclear on mine since I started in '91.

Actually, I have been rincing mine with water since John brought this up about a year ago. Absolutely no issues with the wax. My pipes all look and smell brand new on the outside, and the stems are always bright and shiny. Alcohol is what will mess up your wax, if you aren’t careful.

As far as tin art goes... some of them are pretty nice, but I don’t buy any of them for the art. Well, I did buy the Tsuge gods line of tobacco for the art, buy that was all those tobacco had going for it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
here in the EU these stickers are hardly removable anymore,now speaking of hot waterflush, I do it at time to time and recently even more often, haven't had any issues whatsoever and this quick hot water pouring freshes them up nicely and drives away that ashy smell, yet I'm not so concerned if the bowl waxing fades away, I can rewax them if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.