Warning Labels Now Required On All Pipe Tobacco Packages in the US?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
My B&M in Canada was returning all of their tobacco with tin art tot he distributer. That which was on the shelf had plain brown labels with white text for all brands. It looked pretty sad. And this B&M was one with 6 year old tins of this and that. At $40-80 a pop I was slowly picking up some of the aged gems. But alas they are gone. All replaced by brand new tins that you can barely read from in front of the counter. :(

Meh, but I'll take plain labels over rotten teeth any day. Only a matter of time until we see bottles of single malt whisky with images of disembodied, petrified livers on them.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Meh, but I'll take plain labels over rotten teeth any day. Only a matter of time until we see bottles of single malt whisky with images of disembodied, petrified livers on them.
I believe the plain packages still have the warnings. One of the reasons for plain packaging is so the warnings will be more noticeable.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Because it's asinine
The warnings are more for the parents of prospective smokers. Not for people who have already decided to risk their health. And, I'm still not understanding why you are so emotional about the government warning people about risky behavior. Are you unsure about the choice you made and resent being reminded? Just load a pipe and enjoy the blend. You're wasting time, effort and emotion resenting something you have no control over.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The warnings are more for the parents of prospective smokers. Not for people who have already decided to risk their health. And, I'm still not understanding why you are so emotional about the government warning people about risky behavior. Are you unsure about the choice you made and resent being reminded? Just load a pipe and enjoy the blend. You're wasting time, effort and emotion resenting something you have no control over.

I mostly agree with this. All I use the label for is to keep track of what I'm smoking. If it has the blend name on it, I could care less about the art, warning labels or anything else for that matter. I'm 100x more concerned about eliminating internet sales or pipe tobacco altogether than I am about warning labels. This is an example of why the government ends up winning. Too many focus on the wrong or unimportant things.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
"At this time, FDA does not intend to enforce the health warning requirements for cigar and pipe tobacco products. The United States District Court for the District of Columbia issued an order on July 5, 2018 enjoining FDA from enforcing the health warnings requirements for cigars and pipe tobacco set forth in 21 C.F.R §§ 1143.3 and 1143.5 until 60 days after final disposition of the plaintiffs’ appeal of the court’s order on the health warnings requirements."

Reactions: 3rdguy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
The cigar warning labels were dismissed by the courts a week or so ago. I made a thread a week or so ago on it and linked an article about it.

Small victory at least.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.

Who's getting emotional? I think it's stupid and disagree with it, but that doesn't mean I'm getting emotional about it. Annoyance at most.

Reactions: Cubatogo

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I mostly agree with this. All I use the label for is to keep track of what I'm smoking. If it has the blend name on it, I could care less about the art, warning labels or anything else for that matter. I'm 100x more concerned about eliminating internet sales or pipe tobacco altogether than I am about warning labels. This is an example of why the government ends up winning. Too many focus on the wrong or unimportant things.

Yeah, outlawing online sales is definitely a way bigger issue. Nowhere to buy pipe blends near me unless you like Captain Black or Borkum Riff.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
With respect

Isn’t this the same nation that has warning text on your peanuts saying ‘Warning, may contain nuts’
Isn’t this the same nation who have warnings on their McD’s coffee cups saying ‘Caution, contents are hot’
Didn't I even read about a warning on a mirror saying 'Warning, items appearing in this mirror are actually behind you!

OK I may have made that last one up ;) but with the above in mind I think it’s ok to have health warnings on your tobacco products

(& the stickers will wash off the tins anyway, and collectors can add to their collections too, imagine if you have an empty tin of Squadron Leader, now you can collect more tins of SL but with the various different pictorial warning labels to denote lung disease, erectile dysfunction, mouth cancer, impotence etc etc, just when you thought you had the full set out comes a new SL tin with heart failure!) ?

Reactions: brian64

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
With respect

Isn’t this the same nation that has warning text on your peanuts saying ‘Warning, may contain nuts’
Isn’t this the same nation who have warnings on their McD’s coffee cups saying ‘Caution, contents are hot’
Didn't I even read about a warning on a mirror saying 'Warning, items appearing in this mirror are actually behind you!

OK I may have made that last one up ;) but with the above in mind I think it’s ok to have health warnings on your tobacco products

(& the stickers will wash off the tins anyway, and collectors can add to their collections too, imagine if you have an empty tin of Squadron Leader, now you can collect more tins of SL but with the various different pictorial warning labels to denote lung disease, erectile dysfunction, mouth cancer, impotence etc etc, just when you thought you had the full set out comes a new SL tin with heart failure!) ?

:LOL: If you're allergic, but somehow didn't know a can of peanuts contains peanuts, then maybe you're making a good case to remove said warning on the label and are well on the way to becoming a Darwin Award recipient... though our society seems to frown on natural selection when it pertains to humans.

Reactions: paulfg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

No, it's: Warning, objects in this mirror are actually dumber than they appear.

And yes, your observations are correct. The avg IQ here has dropped noticeably, and we need a nanny state warning for pretty much everything (except maybe a few things that actually should have a warning...but that's just part of the dumbing down).

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.

I also might add that when big brother wants to take away your freedoms, it doesn't usually happen all at once. It's a process of attrition. They chip away a little bit at a time to see how much you can handle, and so you'll get used to the new restrictions before they add more restrictions. So, in a way, every little thing is important.

It's also a device to further ostracize smokers so that we can be looked down upon from afar. I think it has very little to do with actually warning anyone about anything that everyone already knows.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
No, it's: Warning, objects in this mirror are actually dumber than they appear.

And yes, your observations are correct. The avg IQ here has dropped noticeably, and we need a nanny state warning for pretty much everything (except maybe a few things that actually should have a warning...but that's just part of the dumbing down).

The UK (& even here on this lil island are way ahead of you) Tobacco products not only in plain packing but out of sight at point of sale in a little secret cupboard like in Hogwarts.

I mean one or the other, we don't need both

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Anyway, warning labels are not just for kids. If infinity stones had warning labels we could’ve all been spared 22 films and a lot of wasted years ?

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
A bit of a side note but I once purchased a power tool that included the warning, “Do not stop the saw blade with your genitals.” Bearing in mind that the existence of the warning is suggestive that someone tried the misguided technique, I don’t ask many questions about warnings anymore.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Anyway, warning labels are not just for kids. If infinity stones had warning labels we could’ve all been spared 22 films and a lot of wasted years
I'm guessing that is something related to Harry Potter, but thankfully I don't know because I never subjected myself to any of it.

A bit of a side note but I once purchased a power tool that included the warning, “Do not stop the saw blade with your genitals.”

Now that's just plain crazy...at least as crazy as all of the anti-tobacco hysteria.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Wait until it's taken to the extreme; here in Nanny State Australia we have 'plain packaging' with disgusting pics with a health warning.

One for e.g., has a before and after pic of a bloke. Before he's a picture of health. The after pic, taken just 6 months later, shows the bloke a ghastly emaciated wreck on deaths door.
It's eventually revealed that the poor bastard died from AIDS. Despite this revelation tobacco products still carry his pics.

The anti-tobacco lobby aren't interested in the facts. Ideologists never are.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
For my part, I dont even look at those labels Even less so with the warning in non-english languages. If a warning label worked:

Why not warning labels on a college education for young people. Something like: WARNING: This educational certification will NOT result in a meaningful employment . Enormous debt will result in delaying or ruination of your dreams of starting a family.

Status
Not open for further replies.