Warning Labels Now Required On All Pipe Tobacco Packages in the US?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So I may be a little slow on the uptake here. I just ordered tobacco from P&C and Iwan Ries for the first time in over a year (been smoking through my stash for a while). About half of my tins came normal, and half have the "Warning: Contains Nicotine... blah blah blah," labels on them. I live in TX and have never purchased a tin, pouch, or bag of pipe tobacco with this label on it before.

Are these required now in the US? I hope manufacturers do what Samuel Gawith has done - putting the normal tins in a box with the warning on the box, so we can enjoy the tin art. My formerly pretty tins of SG Bothy Flake look ugly with the warning label on there. And I like to keep my guitar picks and stuff inside the tins. Kinda bugs me as a collector.

It's kind of funny, though. I'm sure all the cool kids hanging out outside the tobacconist shops trying to get an older gent to go in and buy them Brown Irish Rope to pack into their Savinelli will be shocked by the "Contains Nicotine" labels and it will scare them straight for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
All is good and more or less bearable till the moment they're starting requiring that 80% of package surface must contain warning texts and those horrid pictures

True, it's just a mild annoyance, really. The thing that annoys me the most is the ignorance of our legislators. As if pipe smokers didn't know that the products contain nicotine... "Uh yeah, that's part of why we like it!"

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
My understanding was that all tobacco required a warning label in the US. But clearly that is incorrect since several blends are still available without labels. Esoterica, Rattrays and Gawith have no labels.... at least on the tins I've bought. GL Pease has no label on his last two releases, but his old ones all do. Mac Baren is all over the map, some have labels and some don't. I don't know who regulates this stuff, but they're asleep on the job it seems (which is fine by me).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I may be a little slow on the uptake here. I just ordered tobacco from P&C and Iwan Ries for the first time in over a year (been smoking through my stash for a while). About half of my tins came normal, and half have the "Warning: Contains Nicotine... blah blah blah," labels on them. I live in TX and have never purchased a tin, pouch, or bag of pipe tobacco with this label on it before.

Are these required now in the US? I hope manufacturers do what Samuel Gawith has done - putting the normal tins in a box with the warning on the box, so we can enjoy the tin art. My formerly pretty tins of SG Bothy Flake look ugly with the warning label on there. And I like to keep my guitar picks and stuff inside the tins. Kinda bugs me as a collector.

It's kind of funny, though. I'm sure all the cool kids hanging out outside the tobacconist shops trying to get an older gent to go in and buy them Brown Irish Rope to pack into their Savinelli will be shocked by the "Contains Nicotine" labels and it will scare them straight for sure.
yeah for like a long time. Your tins without labels are probably old. Which with pipe tobacco can be a really good thing. Or why it's always great when a store doesn't know what they have and actually give you a deep discount on old stock of pipe tobacco. :)

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Numerous new blends have come out the past few months and none have had warning labels.....yet.

Reactions: BROBS

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
In Canada starting Feb. 8, 2020 all tobacco has to have plain packaging with warnings. Many of the pipe tobaccos still aren’t available with compliant packaging and I don’t know which ones will be made available. I was at a local B&M yesterday and other than bulk they had one pouch and one tin in stock. They were thinking whatever would eventually become available could still take weeks to be back on shelves.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My extensive collection of mason jars have no pics nor warning messages... nana

View attachment 19685
But the bags they come in do.

20180628_054653.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like all of the FDA related legislation, there are dates when changes are required to kick in. Eventually, all newly tinned product will have to have a warning label on it. Once the older stock has been sold it will be replace by tins bearing these warning labels.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I purchase tobacco blends for smoking. I have no interest in any artwork. That said, I did collect the "anti=smoking" images when last in Europe. I find them fascinating. Of course, I enjoyed having to attend autopsies when I was a "copper". If you are a smoker you already ignore any health warnings so ... why be concerned with the warnings? It's beyond my ken.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
If you are a smoker you already ignore any health warnings so ... why be concerned with the warnings? It's beyond my ken.

Because it's asinine. Because we aren't allowed to make a personal choice knowing the risks without the nanny state and seemingly every other non-smoker out there constantly waving the risks associated with tobacco smoke exposure in your face, as if you didn't know. Because it's annoying to see pipe smoking lumped in with cigarette, dip, etc. use when the risk level isn't even comparable.

Sure, I buy mine to smoke, too. I keep my tins to keep guitar picks and small parts, screws, tampers, pipe bits, etc. in, and they just look nicer without "ACHTUNG!" and pictures of bloody lungs and rotten teeth on them.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
My B&M in Canada was returning all of their tobacco with tin art tot he distributer. That which was on the shelf had plain brown labels with white text for all brands. It looked pretty sad. And this B&M was one with 6 year old tins of this and that. At $40-80 a pop I was slowly picking up some of the aged gems. But alas they are gone. All replaced by brand new tins that you can barely read from in front of the counter. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.