PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
The tin of Red was fairly dense, stiff to cut and did not fall apart like Briar Fox of Peretti's Thanksgiving day, which I believe are sold as cakes. I would certainly put this into the Plug category. Its thinner than the GL Pease plugs as well, but wider.
Hope that helps.

jking

Lurker
Oct 17, 2016
It has nothing to do with the shape of the compressed "chunk" of tobacco. It has nothing to do with the density of the "chunk". It has everything to do with the ingredients. Is it whole leaf, or pieces of whole leaf tobacco, or is it tobacco that has already been cut into smaller pieces and blended before hand as opposed to layered before placed into the press?
With that said, it looks like cake to me.

jking

Lurker
Oct 17, 2016
It has nothing to do with the shape of the compressed "chunk" of tobacco. It has nothing to do with the density of the "chunk". It has everything to do with the ingredients. Is it whole leaf, or pieces of whole leaf tobacco, or is it tobacco that has already been cut into smaller pieces and blended before hand as opposed to layered before placed into the press?
With that said, it looks like cake to me.
Edit...double post sorry.

jking

Lurker
Oct 17, 2016
@cosmic....yes there have been "write ups" detailing the difference. Some right here in fact. Crumble Cake and Cake are one in the same, as far as ingredients go. The difference between those two are a> time in the press and b> how "hard" is the squeegie :)
Not saying this isn't a fine tobacco. Just saying this doesn't appear to be a plug, in the true old school sense.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
If you put the tobacco in a sock and wallop someone on the head and their head breaks then it's a plug.

If the tobacco breaks, it's a kake.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
Simon, only one bowl in on the Red and it was damn good! I let it dry for about 10 minutes after cutting it and rubbing it out. It stayed lit pretty well in a wide Moretti nose warmer. I'm going to keep playing with the pack and cut and see how it performs. Also looking to see how some time in a jar will affect it once its had time to rest. Very early feedback is this is a winner and exactly what I was hoping for.
Jking, I see what you are saying. I don't believe it is whole leaf, hopefully someone will chime in with exactly what it is. Its sold as a bar which is the only tobacco I have ever bought listed as that, so I didn't go in expecting anything specific and ultimately am really happy with the final product. I hope you end up enjoying it as well!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Judging by what Mr. 2-1-5 posted, specifically the picture of the open tin, I would say I'm a bit disappointed. Looks more like a cake than a plug. However, pictures can be deceiving.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a pressed ribbon cut not a whole leaf plug. Anyway, I'm excited to taste it if CI can stick with an agreed release date and actually release it on that date.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its a non-crumble cake. The specimen I sent to Jim had to be cut with a knife and could not 'crumbled' unless you sliced a piece off with a very sharp knife and then rubbed it out. After all this analysis of it just smoke the stuff and then be the judge. I think you will like it they way it tastes. Ghosh that sounds like the byline from the Men Warehouse adverts! :nana:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats brilliant - its War Horse Clug! Dan get onto our lawyers and trademark the word 'Clug' and maybe we can bring out a line of butt 'clugs' :rofl:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, Cosmic the Green is a clug too; and I'll take credit for introducing "clug" into the pipe man's lexicon while I'm at it. It's my sole contribution to the product line.

Status
Not open for further replies.