PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you Dan. When Dan designed the Standard Tobacco 'rig' motif he created a classic image. At the time we had so many people who wanted to put that on teeshirts. We always said 'No' since no one ever wanted to pay Dan for the rights! Somewhere I have the Gallagher advert from the 1930s which was 'revamped' to read; "Would you like to try my War Horse young man" which I think was probably why none of us ever went into advertising.

CachedImage.axd.jpeg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
At the time we had so many people who wanted to put that on teeshirts. We always said 'No' since no one ever wanted to pay Dan for the rights!
Truth is that when I priced a well-printed full-color graphic on a quality black shirt, they were running $20 each. Add in shipping both ways and I didn't think that anyone was going to be willing to pay the price.

SO.....

If anyone has expertise in the full color shirt printing business, and can suggest a vendor that can give me good pricing on 50 well-crafted shirts, please contact me!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Thank you Dan. When Dan designed the Standard Tobacco 'rig' motif he created a classic image. At the time we had so many people who wanted to put that on teeshirts. We always said 'No' since no one ever wanted to pay Dan for the rights! Somewhere I have the Gallagher advert from the 1930s which was 'revamped' to read; "Would you like to try my War Horse young man" which I think was probably why none of us ever went into advertising.

View attachment 171140
Would you like to see my War Horse, young man? Lol
I always liked that old advert, couple of honest, hardworking dockers in Belfast, father & son perhaps. Having a laugh & bonding over a plug of tobacco. Lovely old advert, then you boy’s come along & ruin it. Now, whenever I see it I can’t help thinking ‘dirty old nonce!’ 😆

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Truth is that when I priced a well-printed full-color graphic on a quality black shirt, they were running $20 each. Add in shipping both ways and I didn't think that anyone was going to be willing to pay the price.

SO.....

If anyone has expertise in the full color shirt printing business, and can suggest a vendor that can give me good pricing on 50 well-crafted shirts, please contact me!
Don’t know anyone who makes them but I’d buy one. If they come with the added ‘innuendo’ I’d buy two. 🙂

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@woodsroad : And here we go Dan. Let's see who has been offended most by our activities and how we may have 'denigrated' an iconic product. As I have said before it is almost as if we had caste Eddie Murphy as the next James Bond.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
@woodsroad : And here we go Dan. Let's see who has been offended most by our activities and how we may have 'denigrated' an iconic product.

That sort of thing is indeed why the Internet was invented, according to some. lol

Ignore them.

Me? I'd never smoked War Horse in my life until about four years ago, then discovered it made several G&H tobaccos I'd long favored even better when added as a "seasoning". It elevated them.

Around 20% does the trick, so I keep a cut & prepped jar at hand whenever a G&H smoke gets the nod. Dark Flake, Kendal Dark, etc.

Not adding it is like leaving mustard off a burger, or El Yucateco off a taco.

Vital enough that I bought 20 tins of it. :)

You and Dan please accept my profoundest thanks for improving my Smoking Life by bringing back the brand.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Don't even get me started about the guy with a steam shovel bucket sized pipe that could lift half jar in one hit from the sample section on our trade stand. Actually the best and most memorable memory was the Lobster Mac and Cheese moment at the Chicago Pipe Show with myself and Dan. I wish I had filmed it since it still makes me laugh to this day!

• Haha
Reactions: mingc