PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Okay, I’m now taking this seriously.

I started smoking pipes just as I started college in 1964 but stopped around 1972. Started again in 1990 (after promising myself if I ever got divorced, the first thing I would do is buy a pipe). Stopped again around 1993. Started again about four years ago.

I now have six pipes. Two Peterson’s both bent (one with a date of March 2013 and one much older). I have two Meerschaums, a new Savinelli church warden, and an old GBD midnight. I have no idea where this came from. It may have been my father’s. I had to get new stems for the Peterson’s and the bowl reamed out on the GBD, the diameter having been reduced to a thread.

I have been getting my tobacco at the local tobacconist. Until recently I was just buying a Cavendish from the jar, but in the last few weeks I decided to start trying different blends. I have tried two C&D blends and a Christmas blend (didn’t note the name).

Anyway, I have learned a lot from this forum and enjoy the posts.

I have noted a significant amount of discussion about used pipes. At first the idea of buying a used pipe was bothersome, but it appears that reputable resellers do a good job with restoration. I remind myself that when I eat at a restaurant, countless people have already used the forks and spoons before me, so buying a clean pipe should be no worse.

The main question is who do you recommend for the used pipe market, both in terms of reasonable price and restoration quality? Are used pipes the way to go? I don’t think I am interested in collecting for collecting sake, but would be interested in having a decent selection of pipes to rotate.

I have found a few, Oldpipesrule , thesecondhandsmoker, and of course pipestuds and blueroom. Are there any you would recommend? Or not recommend?

Comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are a lot of good estate pipe sources out there.

I'd recommend any of the site sponsors that sell estates.

You already mentioned Pipestud and Blue Room.

Maxim at Pipes2Smoke is great. Dave at MKE-LAW is fantastic (Just bought a pipe 2 nights ago from him. He emailed me a thank you that night after I placed my order around 10pm and he emailed me a tracking number the next morning.). Smoking Pipes is also great.

I'm not sure how many pipes total I've bought from all of them combined but I'll continue to do so.

I'll post some more places tomorrow when I get in to my office.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As much as I like my Dunhills, I have far more Savinellis than any other brand and it can't tell the difference in smoking quality between the brands.
That’s what makes pipe smoking so fantastic. I absolutely hate Savinelli; however, I’m extremely cautious on the Dunhills I purchase.

AND I really prefer older pre-WW2 pipes, so feel to ignore my ramblings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Dunhills are attractive traditional pipes, but the prices new and used seem like a marketing stunt, commendable business acumen but a scam to the consumer. So no, not worth it to me anyway. If you want up-market pipes, factory or artisan, just shop many other up-market brands that give you two comparable pipes for the price of one Dunhill.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Wise counsel here above. I’ve had great experiences with MKELaw, Blue Room and Smoking Pipes. All have been outstanding in service, value and accurate descriptions. I’ve gotten some excellent estate pipes that are reliable smokers for reasonable prices. All will gladly talk with you and even provide photos or answer your questions. Go for it and happy hunting!

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
I'd agree with all the recommendations so far from experiences I've had or from word of mouth, and I'd add smokingpipes.com as well as treasurepipes on Ebay. I've had several positive experiences with both on estate pipes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That’s what makes pipe smoking so fantastic. I absolutely hate Savinelli; however, I’m extremely cautious on the Dunhills I purchase.

AND I really prefer older pre-WW2 pipes, so feel to ignore my ramblings.
Absolutely!

I'm, in a sense, picky with my Dunhill purchases. Considering their price I want either a good deal or something a little unique. I just ordered a Dunhill cavalier from Dave at MKELAW which is not only unique but about $100 under value based on my research. $75 at least. That being said, one of my favorite Dunhills I got from a site member which had been repaired. But for the $60 I paid it's a fantastic smoker and I can't find the repair.

If you don't like Savinellis that's okay. More Qandales, Autographs, Artisans, and Mignons for me.

The most fantastic thing is, despite our differences in tastes, we both agree Dave at MKELAW is fantastic to deal with.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I've always found Smoking Pipes to have consistently nice pipes, nicely restored for a good price. You have to be careful with them though because sometimes they will try to slip in an estate pipe that is close to the new price; I look for "smoked but pretty clean" label and about 40% below the new price pipe.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
HOWEVER.... you should grab a couple of beaters of eBay and then go to Rebornpipes.com and try your hand at restoration.

I will agree with Tim that while it sounds daunting, breathing life into an old pipe is very rewarding. You don't need expensive equipment or tools, just patience and a slow hand.

As for buying estates, you've already mentioned some good trusted vendors. EBay is a diceroll like everything else. I would NOT recommend AliExpress for pipes ;)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All the site sponsors are very good. I've bought more pipes from pipestud over three years than anybody else. By far. I have no issue buying a used pipes. After I smoke a new one the first time, it is now used. I've developed a liking for Artisan pipes in the past year and a half. Many I've had quite a bit of input into the design. Really liked working with Jack Howell and Ryan Alden. Great Artisans and great guys.

Reactions: Merton and jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As some have mentioned Marty Pulvers is great to deal with. Another I forgot last night, and a site sponsor, it The Danish Pipe Shop. They're surprisingly fast with shipping.

Two more options I've been happy with are Estate Pipe Shop (in UK - another good overseas shipper) and Pipehub. Pipehub's site can be a little weird sometimes but they've promptly resolved and handled my orders through email.

One place I haven't ordered from (yet) but others I know have been happy with is SATX.

Both Pipehub and SATX have fleabay stores if you prefer.

Oct 7, 2016
Lots of people shy away from eBay because they hear about other folks’ bad experiences. As a general rule, when you look behind these complaints, they seem to be from bargain hunters who find out the hard way that there isn’t a Santa Claus. If the seller takes good pictures and provides a description, plus a return privilege, go for it — if you have the discipline to enter what your research indicates is a fair value and let it ride.

As far as Dunhills go, they are priced all over the place on the estate market, eBay and otherwise. The perception that they nice ones are always high is simply false.

Reactions: ashdigger

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Marty Pulver, MKlaw, Blur Room Briars, Pipestud and Smoking Pipes and can be trusted when it comes to quality estates. There are the random good buys on eBay but when I want to gamble, I go to Vegas.

• Haha
Reactions: Zack Miller
Status
Not open for further replies.