PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
SG Lakeland Dark and G&H Dark Bird's Eye are NOT Lakelands.

They are made in the Lake District, yes, but are basically heavy Dark Fired Kentucky. Lalekand Dark is a grown up, smoother version of MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky, and Dark Bird's Eye is basically a Dark Fired Kentucky shag, pretty strong and rough, but also very tasty.

Check out the thread Ahi Ka posted above, about the sauce scale, it is an authoritative source.

From what I've tried:
  • Bob's choc flake is light in the Lakeland, and very nice
  • Conniston is middle of the road, and very nice
  • Dark flake scented I have not smoked yet, but smells VERY strong
  • 1792 flake is in my top 5 tobaccos, but it's basically tonquin flavoured, not a clear Lakeland. Same tobacco base as Lakeland Dark.
absolutely correct Karam

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Don't know if it's available to you but Broken flake no. 7 is very good and great aroma.

One of the first Lakelands and first tobaccos I tried 20 odd years ago. It's a firm favourite of mine and I try to stock up on it every month even though 100gms costs me around £30.

I worry that it may become discontinued (for no good reason) but I do my small part in trying to ensure that it doesn't .

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Sorry, I meant to say G&H Dark Flake, not Lakeland Dark. Cinco Day Drinko got the best of me?
The S and U/S might have betrayed my intention.
I know DBE isn't sauced, but those are the 4 GH bulk blends this B&M keeps stocked.

As far as Stonehenge getting a lot of recommendations, I dig it a lot, but I don't think it's sauced enough to be considered a representative "Lakeland". About the same level as Louisiana Flake, or maybe Scotch Flake. A bit of whatever chocolate they use, but minimal florals, if any.
Hyde Park is the only regularly available(in the states) non-Gawith badged Lakeland with enough sauce to deserve the designation, imho. Tastes like Rum Flake with less Rum and a touch more sauce. Still minimal, though, compared to the heavy hitters.
I also love DTMs Lakeland attempts, but most seem more Irish than Kendal in nature.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Sorry, I meant to say G&H Dark Flake, not Lakeland Dark. Cinco Day Drinko got the best of me?
The S and U/S might have betrayed my intention.
I know DBE isn't sauced, but those are the 4 GH bulk blends this B&M keeps stocked.

As far as Stonehenge getting a lot of recommendations, I dig it a lot, but I don't think it's sauced enough to be considered a representative "Lakeland". About the same level as Louisiana Flake, or maybe Scotch Flake. A bit of whatever chocolate they use, but minimal florals, if any.
Hyde Park is the only regularly available(in the states) non-Gawith badged Lakeland with enough sauce to deserve the designation, imho. Tastes like Rum Flake with less Rum and a touch more sauce. Still minimal, though, compared to the heavy hitters.
I also love DTMs Lakeland attempts, but most seem more Irish than Kendal in nature.
@rushx9
which of the DTM blends are you are referring to.I cant get GH blends easily but DTM blends are a bit easier and I like Condor so I am interested to try the DTM ones

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
@rushx9
which of the DTM blends are you are referring to.I cant get GH blends easily but DTM blends are a bit easier and I like Condor so I am interested to try the DTM ones
Some are badged as HU, but as far as I know are made by DTM.
Elwood Flake #2 is my favorite so far(makes Erinmore look like Erinless?), Treasures of Ireland-Shamrock, HU Sissinghurst, The Great Dixter, Daddi Geftl.
I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Reactions: ofafeather

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
  • Bob's choc flake is light in the Lakeland, and very nice

• Dark flake scented I have not smoked yet, but smells VERY strong
I absolutely love Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Dark Flake scented is good but I much prefer the unscented version. Also, for me, very strong in the nic department.

I suspect somewhere between BCF and DF scented is the limit of my liking of Lakeland although I would like to at least try Ennerdale some day.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I absolutely love Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Dark Flake scented is good but I much prefer the unscented version. Also, for me, very strong in the nic department.

I suspect somewhere between BCF and DF scented is the limit of my liking of Lakeland although I would like to at least try Ennerdale some day.
I smoked two bowls of dark flake scented today. Absolutely loved it. Didn't find it heavy on the nicotine but the sauce is strong, a lot stronger than Bob's. For me Conniston is the right middle of the road Lakeland.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
P&C usually has Hansom Flake in stock - it's a solid Lakeland that's lighter on the essence than some.
I popped a tin of Hansom Flake today. It is a nice mild Va/Per blend, but I detected zero Lakeland essence. I was hoping for some as I really enjoy that flavor in the little bit of Bob's Square Cut that I have been able to get, but not so in the Hansom Flake. Still a good blend though. I haven't had much luck in getting any of the heavier hitting Lakeland offerings yet.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I popped a tin of Hansom Flake today. It is a nice mild Va/Per blend, but I detected zero Lakeland essence. I was hoping for some as I really enjoy that flavor in the little bit of Bob's Square Cut that I have been able to get, but not so in the Hansom Flake. Still a good blend though. I haven't had much luck in getting any of the heavier hitting Lakeland offerings yet.
LJ Peretti has Ennerdale in stock. 500gr only and a bit pricey at 80 bucks but it's there if you want it. They might have #7 broken flake but I'm not sure. I saw it, just can't remember where.